Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
During winter we often find ourselves in locations with somewhat spotty coverage. Our primary lines are on the Verizon network. If I set up the 2nd iemi on a secondary carrier (thinking a low end Mint plan on the T-Mobile network) and have both carriers turned on simultaneously, will the phone select the carrier with the optimal signal? Thinking here mostly about things like gps coverage, basic coverage at various ski resorts, etc.? Don't care much about speed and wouldn't be using much data. Just want to improve the likelihood for better coverage.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
There is an option to "Allow Cellular Data Switching" when you are using multiple SIMs which will automatically switch data to the other SIM when data isn't available. I don't necessarily believe it will automatically choose the best coverage, though, as you still have to pick a SIM to use as your primary provider.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
There is an option to "Allow Cellular Data Switching" when you are using multiple SIMs which will automatically switch data to the other SIM when data isn't available. I don't necessarily believe it will automatically choose the best coverage, though, as you still have to pick a SIM to use as your primary provider.

Yup, the only options I ever got on iPhone and Android is to always use a line for calls or choose a line every time you make a call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.