Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I've searched the forum and I can't find anyone asking (or answering) this exact question:

Can the 14" MBP M2 drive 2 DisplayPort monitors from a single thunderbolt port?

I've tried a couple of Dell docks (Thunderbolt and one that required DisplayLink drivers) but neither do the job, unlike my work laptop (I want to connect all my monitors and USB accessories to the dock so I can easily switch between my 'work' and 'home' configurations.). currently it seems as though I'll have to unplug one of the monitors from its HDMI-DP adapter into the dock, and plug it into the MBP's HDMI socket (I'm waiting for a DP to TB4 adapter to arrive)

Someone here said that TB4 carries 2 DP signals, so it sounds as though it should be possible, but the number of MBP docks on the market designed for multiple monitors and equipped with dual TB2 plugs seems to suggest otherwise

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I've searched the forum and I can't find anyone asking (or answering) this exact question:

Can the 14" MBP M2 drive 2 DisplayPort monitors from a single thunderbolt port?

I've tried a couple of Dell docks (Thunderbolt and one that required DisplayLink drivers) but neither do the job, unlike my work laptop (I want to connect all my monitors and USB accessories to the dock so I can easily switch between my 'work' and 'home' configurations.). currently it seems as though I'll have to unplug one of the monitors from its HDMI-DP adapter into the dock, and plug it into the MBP's HDMI socket (I'm waiting for a DP to TB4 adapter to arrive)

Someone here said that TB4 carries 2 DP signals, so it sounds as though it should be possible, but the number of MBP docks on the market designed for multiple monitors and equipped with dual TB2 plugs seems to suggest otherwise

Can you show us the docks and what ports you are plugging the two displays into? From my understanding, you will only be able to use one of the HDMI/DP ports out of the dock, and if the dock has another thunderbolt port on it you can use a USB-C to DP cable/adapter for the second screen.

Reactions: SvenSvenson

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
According to CalDigit, this can be done with their TS4 (https://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-station-4/) (though, at $400, it is pricey). See the thread link, as well as the support table at the bottom of Caldigit's site:

1689044193718.png

See also this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...b-c-port.2378927/?post=31988872#post-31988872 ).

Are you running Ventura? See this technical note from CalDigit:

The Dell should work as well, but I think the CalDigit is designed specifically with Apple in mind.

Last edited:

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Can you show us the docks and what ports you are plugging the two displays into? From my understanding, you will only be able to use one of the HDMI/DP ports out of the dock, and if the dock has another thunderbolt port on it you can use a USB-C to DP cable/adapter for the second screen.
I'm using a Dell WD19TBS and was using the 2 DP ports (I swap the dock between my new work laptop and my new MBP and was hoping this would make screen and keyboard/mouse sharing simple). I've found the Dell support document that says this doesn't work with a Mac so will try connecting the second display to one of the TB ports. I tried a DP to TB adapter but that didn't work, although I already have an HDMI-DP adapter on the cable, so I've ordered an HDMI-TB cable.

Unplugging the 2nd display from the HDMI-DP adapter on the dock and plugging into the HDMI socket on the MBP works and is a fairly easy solution, although I'm sure I've seen docks advertised (Kensington) that show dual external displays via DP from a single TB cable to the MBP.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
According to CalDigit, this can be done with their TS4 (https://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-station-4/) (though, at $400, it is pricey). See the thread link, as well as the support table at the bottom of Caldigit's site:

View attachment 2230891

See also this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...b-c-port.2378927/?post=31988872#post-31988872 ).

Are you running Ventura? See this technical note from CalDigit:

The Dell should work as well, but I think the CalDigit is designed specifically with Apple in mind.
I get access to the Dell TB docks (WD19TBS) for free via work, so definitely want to get this working. At the moment, to swap from my work laptop (into the dock with dual DP monitors via DP-HDMI cables, I just swap the TB cable to the dock from the Dell to the MBP but them have to unplug the HDMI cable from the HDMI-DP adapter to the 2nd DP port on the dock and plug it into the HDMI socket on the MBP - not too onerous to save a few hundred buying a dock that works directly.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I'm using a Dell WD19TBS and was using the 2 DP ports (I swap the dock between my new work laptop and my new MBP and was hoping this would make screen and keyboard/mouse sharing simple). I've found the Dell support document that says this doesn't work with a Mac so will try connecting the second display to one of the TB ports. I tried a DP to TB adapter but that didn't work, although I already have an HDMI-DP adapter on the cable, so I've ordered an HDMI-TB cable.

Ah, yeah you definitely have to use the downstream thunderbolt port of that dock for the second display.

Windows will happily use both DP ports on that dock for two displays because Windows supports something called MST. Apple doesn't, unfortunately, but will still let you use one DP, and a USB-C to DP cable for the second screen.

Annoying, but at least you'll still end up with dual displays over one cable.

To put it more simply, one display from the left square, and one display from the right square.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.png
    IMG_0719.png
    402.6 KB · Views: 86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.