Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I want to do Link Aggregation with a pair of dual ethernet Mac Pros and a couple of dual ethernet G5 PMs - a 2GHz dual core and a 2.5GHz Quad G5. Can anyone assist me in setting this up please? I have the Netgear GSM7212 but can't get phone support from Netgear because I bought it refurbished. Thanks.

I think I've figured out how to create aggregations. But not sure if the benefit will result yet.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
well what you should do is Set it up first just with 1000 base/t I think that should be plenty. In almost all cases you don't even use a full 1000 base/t line, as the hard drives are your limitation. So set it up with 1000 base/t then you can take a look at activity monitor and see if your getting close to maxing out a connection.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Dual Ethernet Aggregation On The Local Net Doubles Compression Speed

well what you should do is Set it up first just with 1000 base/t I think that should be plenty. In almost all cases you don't even use a full 1000 base/t line, as the hard drives are your limitation. So set it up with 1000 base/t then you can take a look at activity monitor and see if your getting close to maxing out a connection.
You don't understand. The dual ethernet setup across an aggregated local network doubles the speed of the rendering or compressing multiple parts of a video render or compression job.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
You don't understand. The dual ethernet setup across an aggregated local network doubles the speed of the rendering or compressing multiple parts of a video render or compression job.

I understand what link aggregation does. However, i still don't think it will use all the bandwidth of a 1000 base/t connection as it will be limited by your slowest part, which i would think would be the bus of the systems/cpu/HD(if used for rendering) I have not used the software you speak of so i can't comment for sure. But i am just saying try it single connection(which is VERY fast if its 1000base/t) I have use 1000 base/t on servers at work we never max out the connection at most we use 30%.

So just check it shouldn't take long to see if it uses %100 of the single connection or not. I may very possible be wrong it may need more then a single connection. But I doubt it. 1000 Mbit/s is alot of data...of coarse thats theoretical its actually slower then that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.