Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Apologies if the answer is only a correctly worded search away, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for. I am fairly certain I read about a good USB-C hub/dock that allowed the rMB to drive 2 external monitors at either 1080 or 1440p resolution @ 60Hz, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere now. Could easily have been 7-8 months ago now...

Any kind soul recall anything that could help me or have their own solid solution to dual external monitors on the rMB? Don't need 4k or anything, just regular full HD is fine.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
I hope you get an answer. Apple normally doesn't play nice when it comes to supporting multiple monitors from a single port. Unless it's changed recently, I know that recent rMBPs, when using Mac OS X, would not allow you to daisy chain monitors for an extended desktop, unless you used Apple's Thunderbolt Displays. Load Windows (last time I saw it done was Windows 8), and boom, no issues.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I use the HDMI adapter and Duet Display on an iPad Pro with success. I find it so cool having full power, HDMI, and iPad charge/sync/display over a single cable. :p

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I've been waiting for 2 years for Duet to support two iPad displays. Had two iPad 2's just waiting to be converted to external screens for this purpose...was in contact with the developer for a good while lobbying for it, but it seems like it is too much.

That would have been an excellent portable solution for a two external display setup, USB-C dongle out to two iPad external screens with an extra USB-A and power - would have all fit in my briefcase as well!! :eek:

But now I am looking at my actual home office as I automate processes and hopefully don't have to be running out to clients in different nearby cities as much as I have been.

Looking at setting up a dual 21" monitor workstation with Apple's new Magic keyboard and trackpad. Also hiring a new employee who I want to offer the same setup, but they will have an MBA for their laptop. I already have a solution for dual external displays there.

There are several really promising solutions out there, stationary docks that promise up to 3 external displays from the rMB, using the display port alternate mode for HDMI 1.3 1 for of them up to 4k and then up to 1080p @ 60Hz for the other 2 using onboard DisplayLink graphics processors for HDMI and DVI outs on the dock.

This one here has apparently been reviewed already and can do 1 4K and one 1440p, or 1 4k and 2 1080p - pretty good! But...doesn't ship until sometime this summer maybe? Don't really need the setup until August, so can wait a bit, but it seems like we have been perpetually in this "almost there" phase of this technology!

Dell also has a couple of mini USB-C docks out with VGA and HDMI, but those are being reported by rMB users out there as not being compatible with the rMB.

Last edited:
Reactions: ParanoidDroid

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
Thanks for sharing! I've also been looking for a docking station and checked out that company, among Targus and Dell. Didn't find anything good. The majority of those port replicators are made for Windows and require you to install a custom driver (via CD ).

But that upcoming device looks really promising. I was very upset when the latest refresh lacked thunderbolt 3 support. This docking station might help to cope with the disappointing gen 1 usb 3.1 port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.