Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
HI guys n gals.... me and my mate are having a debate at the moment about dual layer drives on the MBP 'cos i am going to be ordering a MBP asap 'cos i just cant wait any longer for merom otherwise i wont have a computer for Uni.

Basicly my mate reckons that dual layer discs can be burnt on both sides??? i have no idea how they work as ive never used or seen one he reckons that they do this and that if i got the 15" MBP i could just turn the dvd round once it had burnt on one side and then do the otherside??:confused: i thought it was just a dual "interface" (probably wrong word) on one side...

so whos right 'cos it would help me have another reason to get the 17"MBP

oh and does anyone know what power the speakers are on MBP's ie what Watt are they??

thanks people,

Ste

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the dual layer dvd burners encode two layers on ONE side of the disc. you have to have the dual layer discs for it to work as well, but it can also burn regular cd/dvds too. the dual layer discs do cost more, which is the only downside really.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
21stcenturykid said:
thankyou i didnt think i was going insane:p

no problem. oh and to find the wattage of the speakers it might be best to go to apple.com/hardware and find the tech-specs, might be listed there.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
21stcenturykid said:
Basicly my mate reckons that dual layer discs can be burnt on both sides??? i have no idea how they work as ive never used or seen one he reckons that they do this and that if i got the 15" MBP i could just turn the dvd round once it had burnt on one side and then do the otherside??:confused: i thought it was just a dual "interface" (probably wrong word) on one side...
ehh, you're more right than your friend is.. dual layer means two data surfaces on the *same side*. to confuse things, however, there are dual layers discs which are also double-sided, so that you can record two layers on one side, flip it and record two layers on the other side. the two surfaces are written/read by changing the focus of the laser

oh and does anyone know what power the speakers are on MBP's ie what Watt are they??

that's a strange question to ask. a speaker can be rated in terms of how many watts it can safely handle, but given that the amplifier is built-in to the MBP, its not like you need to worry about overpowering the speakers. are you simply interested in how loud they can be? if that's your real question i have no idea. those figures are likely not published by apple.

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
savar said:
that's a strange question to ask. a speaker can be rated in terms of how many watts it can safely handle, but given that the amplifier is built-in to the MBP, its not like you need to worry about overpowering the speakers. are you simply interested in how loud they can be? if that's your real question i have no idea. those figures are likely not published by apple.

well the new imacs are 24watt and my iMac G5 17" is 12 id guess seeing the present 17" is at the moment so was just wondering how loud they would be yes :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.