Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2005
London, UK
Hello.
I have a PowerMac G4 and PowerBook G4 (Panther) and a Sony DRX 800UL DVD burner, with dual layer burning capacity connected by firewire to either machine. The Sony is recognised by, and works well with Toast, for regular single layer burning although it is not supported by Sony for Macs. Oh yes, I also have Patchburn installed, regardless.
So the short question is, has anybody met any problems with dual layer burning? I understand that the quality of the media is a critical factor and I have held off as a result.
Further, does Toast automatically recognise that there is a dual layer disc in the recorder and will it handle everything on its own? I cannot see any indicator for manual settings.
Any experiences and advice would be welcome and appreciated.
Thanks.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
UKnjb said:
So the short question is, has anybody met any problems with dual layer burning?
Well, I didn't... can't speak for other people...

UKnjb said:
I understand that the quality of the media is a critical factor and I have held off as a result.
Try to find out which ones are compatible with your burner, prevents you from literally burning a fair amount of money. On the internet you should find enough sources to find out.

UKnjb said:
Further, does Toast automatically recognise that there is a dual layer disc in the recorder and will it handle everything on its own?
Depends on the version you have. 6.0 doesn't recognise DL DVDs and doesn't support DL burning, from 6.1 on it does...

UKnjb said:
I cannot see any indicator for manual settings.
... because you don't need any.

On the side... why do you have the need to burn DL DVDs? They are way more expensive than SL DVDs... I only burn DL DVDs when a customer insists on it. For my own purposes SL DVDs are enough.

groovebuster

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2005
London, UK
Thanks for your help - it's appreciated. I have Toast 7 and the reason for asking the question was that, having bought a dual layer burner (because it was special offer and was the same price as a single layer burner), I presumed that I ought to use the facility. Um - why would they make DL burners unless there was a demand for them?
But having cruised around looking for media and stuff, like you suggested, it does seem appropriate to take your final suggestion on board and stick with SL. At least for the forseeable future.
Thanks again.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
UKnjb said:
Um - why would they make DL burners unless there was a demand for them?

It's just because they wanted to be on par with the normal DVDs you can buy in a store with movies on it. The problem is that the process to manufacture a writable DL DVD is way more complicated than for a SL DVD. Since a normal movie <2h fits on a SL DVD, the demand for DL DVDs of course is not very high. And for the price of one DL DVD you get 4 SL DVDs, therefore double the capacity.

It's the old vicious circle... prices are high because demand is low. And demand is low because prices are high. And there is always the alternative SL DVD which is way cheaper.

I would see a real chance of DL media becoming more popular if the price for a DL DVD would be around 50% higher as for a SL DVD of the same brand. Until then my box with the DL DVDs will have the label For Special Occasions.

Greetings from Berlin to London,

groovebuster

The Past

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2004
United States
UKnjb said:
Further, does Toast automatically recognise that there is a dual layer disc in the recorder and will it handle everything on its own? I cannot see any indicator for manual settings.

If you look at the bottom-right, there is an option to tell Toast whether you are going to burn the material on a CD, or a DVD, or a DL-DVD. If you check it correctly, then Toast will be able to visually show you (the red/gree bar that surrounds the burn button) whether you have added more content than what the target disc will handle.

I use LaCie DL burner connected through FW400 and I have not had any problem with the discs on some DVD players, but not others. For instance, the discs play very well on a high-end JVC (then and even now) from five years ago but will not play on a Philips DVD recorder/player from three years ago. They play on a Toshiba that cost me next to nothing but will not play on an older Panasonic I paid thrice as much.

It is not a lame task for software to figure out when and where to break the content and I think some DVD players have lower IQ and can not figure out the instructions unless they are literal.

rei56

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2006
Adelaide, Sth Australia
Dual Layer DVD Burning Considerations

UKnjb said:
Hello.
So the short question is, has anybody met any problems with dual layer burning? I understand that the quality of the media is a critical factor and I have held off as a result.
Thanks.

I have a PPCG4 FW800 and an ext. Sony DRU-700UL (FW 400) plus two Pioneer intern. ATAPI burners: A105 single layer SuperDrive and another Pioneer A108 DL with Patchburn installed.

I use Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x inkjet printable media on both the Pioneer and the Sony with little success. I've used Toast 6.1.1 and now 7 and Popcorn 1.0.3. The automatically recognise the DL burners.

I've tried burning a non encrypted Video_TS folder and images. I can play the folder/image on the computer with Apple DVD Player just fine but when I play back on my 12 month old Samsung DVD-HD747 DVD player I invariably get freezing problems that seem to be around halfway through a DL disk, probably at the break point. I've checked out the DVD media guides but can't find an alternative DL media at reasonable price. I seem to have a little better success using the Sony but I'm starting to think it might be the Samsung.

The main reason why I need to burn to DL is because of the resolution issue on art-house films and especially live opera/classical performances. I use mainly DVD2OneX2 but also Popcorn/Toast 7/DragonFlix to shrink a DVD9 (DL) to DVD5 (single layer). I usually compress the whole disc and keep a Dolby or DTS surround audio but not alternative language options and this usually comes in around 35% compression which is rated by Popcorn is very good resolution when compressed to single layer.

Problem is that the compression alogrithms favour action/movement/high contrast frames and reduce res on shadows and shades of similar colours and in countryside scenes with subtle landscapes or fields. This creates an unpleasant 'shimmering' or pixelated effect that 'switches' every second or so. In art house films (eg Russian Ark) the colour textures are important and when compressed are a strain on the eyes because of pixelation/shimmering. In live classical music/opera there are often shadows on the stage and these render very badly plus nasty effects to faces and skin tones because the singers are fairly static. Of course I would improve the res if I only burnt the main movie but with so many of the DVDs I'm interested in the extra features are as important as the main movie. Another alternative might be to burn the main movie and extras to two individual single layer disc

Still, haven't figured it out yet how to get a guaranteed DL burn... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.