Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walkerhan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
UK
I currently have a single LG 22 4K ultrafine monitor which I connect to my 2017 15mbp and 2019 mba via usb c, with working from home now I need to run a dual monitor setup and was thinking of just buying one more rather than forking out for two of the new 24 models.

Has anyone any experience running two of these monitors, each one connected to via usb c?
How do the display controls work if you have two monitors connected?
As each monitor has speakers will the play as together/separate/one or the other?
Can you connect both monitors to the same side or have to split them?
Sorry for all the question, appreciate the help.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
From the Apple tech specs for your 2017 15mbp:

Video Support
Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• Up to two displays with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
  • Up to four displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
  • Up to four displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)
With 2 displays you will have an extended screen space.
I imagine sound will only come from one monitor.

Reactions: walkerhan

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Each display is a separate sound output device. The Audio MIDI Setup.app might allow them to be combined into one?
Each display has its own set of controls in the Displays preferences panel (one window per display).
Each display has its own USB hub.
The displays are only 4K so you can connect two to the same side of the laptop.
The old LG 22 inch 4K displays are not Thunderbolt so they cannot be daisy changed together. A Thunderbolt 3 dock such as the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 can allow you to connect both displays to the dock so that only one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports of the laptop is used.

Reactions: walkerhan

sergioarista

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Each display is a separate sound output device. The Audio MIDI Setup.app might allow them to be combined into one?
Each display has its own set of controls in the Displays preferences panel (one window per display).
Each display has its own USB hub.
The displays are only 4K so you can connect two to the same side of the laptop.
The old LG 22 inch 4K displays are not Thunderbolt so they cannot be daisy changed together. A Thunderbolt 3 dock such as the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 can allow you to connect both displays to the dock so that only one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports of the laptop is used.
Please, Can you confirm the G2 can connect 2 lg22, I’m about to buy one of those just to do that?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Please, Can you confirm the G2 can connect 2 lg22, I’m about to buy one of those just to do that?
I don't have two USB-C displays, but I do have two 4K displays that I can connect with two USB-C to DisplayPort adapters to the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 which is connected to a Mac mini (2018). Both displays are outputting 4K 60Hz (looks like 1920x1080).

The USB-C to DisplayPort adapters have a USB 1.1 Billboard Device (it describes the USB-C adapter) that both appear in System Information.app. One is connected to the USB 3.1 gen 2 controller of the Titan Ridge chip in the dock (the USB port for the downstream Thunderbolt port). The other is connected to a USB hub in the dock which is connected to a second USB output of the Titan Ridge chip (this is a peripheral variant of the Titan Ridge which includes a separate USB output port).

Last edited:
Reactions: sergioarista

sergioarista

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I don't have two USB-C displays, but I do have two 4K displays that I can connect with two USB-C to DisplayPort adapters to the Thunderbolt Dock G2 which is connected to a Mac mini (2018). Both displays are outputting 4K 60Hz (looks like 1920x1080).

The USB-C to DisplayPort adapters have a USB 1.1 Billboard Device (it describes the USB-C adapter) that both appear in System Information.app. One is connected to the USB 3.1 gen 2 controller of the Titan Ridge chip in the dock (the USB port for the downstream Thunderbolt port). The other is connected to a USB hub in the dock which is connected to a second USB output of the Titan Ridge chip (this is a peripheral variant of the Titan Ridge which includes a separate USB output port).
thanks, that was very helpful to me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.