Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonmcbride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2019
I have a Mac Mini 2010 server that I have just setup on my TV and Computer monitor in my shed.
The display on the TV is fine, but the display on the monitor is shifted to the right (SEE ATTACHED PHOTO)
The native resolution of the monitor is 1920x1080 which is what I set it at. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Cheers
Jason

Attachments

• IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 465

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What happens if you uncheck the "Mirror Displays"?
Does the TV, or the monitor have the menu bar at the top? That is your main display.
Swap the menu bar to the OTHER display, then turn on "Mirror Displays"
You will be subject to the main monitor deciding what the resolution of both displays can be.
Experiment with different settings to see what changes on both screens.

jasonmcbride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2019
Unchecking mirror does nothing :-(
Both have the menu at the top, if you click on the tv, the menu bar on the monitor is then greyed out, and vice versa. I have the option to choose resolutions independently for each display, so changing resolutions only effects the one I am changing. The correct resolution is chosen for both monitors (as per attachment)
IMG_3351.JPG
IMG_3352.JPG
For some reason, the monitor display is offset to the right. See both attachments

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you have mirroring turned off, then one display pane should be on your TV, and the other would be on the monitor. How is the Arrangement tab configured? Your Displays pane shows that the TV is configured as the main display (and would have the menubar at the top on the Arrangement tab), because it is the only display that has the Arrangement tab (and therefore is considered the main display) and your VGA display is showing as the secondary display (no arrangement tab)
What change do you see when you change the resolution on BOTH to "Default for Display"?

jasonmcbride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2019
If you have mirroring turned off, then one display pane should be on your TV, and the other would be on the monitor. How is the Arrangement tab configured? Your Displays pane shows that the TV is configured as the main display (and would have the menubar at the top on the Arrangement tab), because it is the only display that has the Arrangement tab (and therefore is considered the main display) and your VGA display is showing as the secondary display (no arrangement tab)
What change do you see when you change the resolution on BOTH to "Default for Display"?
They are only on the same screen because I dragged it over. If I change both to default I get this: see photo. Resolution is way to low

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 158

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That is because your TV is the main screen, so both mirrored screens are limited to what the TV offers.
In the Arrangement tab, drag the menu bar from the TV to your VGA monitor. You may need to turn mirroring off to do this properly. Drag the menu bar from the TV to the VGA monitor, then turn mirroring back on. And, the VGA monitor should then remain as the main screen. And, that SHOULD sort out the weird image partly off the screen.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you disconnect the TV, does the VGA monitor then show the full screen (with no shift)

How do you have your mini connected to the VGA monitor?
I'm guessing that you have the mini DisplayPort to that monitor. Is it a single cable, mDP to VGA - or is there a short adapter cable attached to the mDP cable to adapt to the VGA connection? You might try a different cable for that. Best choice is mDP to VGA, with no adapter, so no extra connections in the cable.

jasonmcbride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2019
If you disconnect the TV, does the VGA monitor then show the full screen (with no shift)

How do you have your mini connected to the VGA monitor?
I'm guessing that you have the mini DisplayPort to that monitor. Is it a single cable, mDP to VGA - or is there a short adapter cable attached to the mDP cable to adapt to the VGA connection? You might try a different cable for that. Best choice is mDP to VGA, with no adapter, so no extra connections in the cable.
Thanks!, will try that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.