Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saha-med

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I have a Late 2012 Mac mini dual-monitor setup connected via the following configurations

Thunderbolt port <-> TB-to-HDMI adapter <-> HDMI Monitor
HDMI port <-> HDMI-to-DVI <-> DVI Monitor

Whenever i wake my computer up from sleep, my HDMI Monitor resumes normally. My DVI monitor shows a pinkish display of my desktop for a few seconds, and then is filled with static. I have to manually unplug the DVI monitor cable from the back of my mini and plug it back in to make it work normally again. The funny thing is that all the while both these monitors have been working perfectly. Only recently (2 weeks back) i am starting to have these problems.

Is there likely a problem with my mac such that i have to take it to the service centre

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would change from this:

Thunderbolt port <-> TB-to-HDMI adapter <-> HDMI Monitor
HDMI port <-> HDMI-to-DVI <-> DVI Monitor

To this:

Thunderbolt port <-> MiniDisplayport-to-DVI adapter <-> DVI Monitor
HDMI port <-> HDMI-HDMI cable <-> HDMI Monitor

... and see how things go that way.

saha-med

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Thanks to both of you. I borrowed a TB adapter to try that out. Static issue seems to gone, but the HDMI monitor has a very slight blur to it (when connected to the HDMI port).

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Thanks to both of you. I borrowed a TB adapter to try that out. Static issue seems to gone, but the HDMI monitor has a very slight blur to it (when connected to the HDMI port).

hmm.. only thing I can think of would be to check the resolution settings of the HDMI monitor under system prefs.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
re
[[ only thing I can think of would be to check the resolution settings of the HDMI monitor under system prefs. ]]

Also check the settings on the monitor itself.
Is there an "overscan" setting on it?

joyrida12

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2014
I went through 2 Mini dp >> hdmi adapters before I finally got rid of the static, I could get it to stop if I moved the end of the adapter around but if I let it go it would start doing it again.

saha-med

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
re
[[ only thing I can think of would be to check the resolution settings of the HDMI monitor under system prefs. ]]

Also check the settings on the monitor itself.
Is there an "overscan" setting on it?

Awesome mate...it was the underscan which was slightly turned on

Thanks alot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.