Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hey-
I managed to open up my old Lacie Little Big Disk2 and have now two nice 512 GB Samsung M.2 ssds here. Of course i can keep using the disk externally but I have issues with the power supply and am thinking if I have them internally, they will be faster.

Is there a solution to put just these two cards in a raid internally that doesn’t break the bank, or do I have to get this Highpoint SSD7101 that everyone is talking about, being able to expand in the future with bigger capacity SSDs?

thanks a lot guys :)

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Seriously, READ THAT FIRST POST. There’s even specific product links for many. HighPoint and Sonnet are basically advertising official compatibility with MP7,1 at this time but PAY ATTENTION to the blade restrictions.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ok sorry -
so Syba SI-PEX40129 this is my only option? Because that card seems to be unavailable in any German online store :(
Low cost tried and tested solution, yes.

OWC ACCELSIOR 4M2 is essentially the same card, have the exactly same ASM2824 PCIe switch, but with 4 M.2 slots and costs much more. There are other cards from the Chinese market, but require 4-pin Molex power and won't work with MP7,1.

Btw, no card that require power will work with MP7,1 unless you hack the Promise 2Ji SATA power cable.

Please don't open new threads for topics already answered, this fragment information. Blade SSDs - NVMe & AHCI thread is a sticky because is the repository of all PCIe M.2/U.2 storage info with Mac Pros.

Last edited:
Reactions: chfilm

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin

OWC ACCELSIOR 4M2 is essentially the same card, have the exactly same ASM2824 PCIe switch, but with 4 M.2 slots and costs much more. There are other cards from the Chinese market, but require 4-pin Molex power and won't work with MP7,1.

Btw, no card that require power will work with MP7,1 unless you hack the Promise 2Ji SATA power cable.

Please don't open new threads for topics already answered, this fragment information. Blade SSDs - NVMe & AHCI thread is a sticky because is the repository of all PCIe M.2/U.2 storage info with Mac Pros.
Roger Roger, thanks!
[automerge]1578012381[/automerge]

oh but one more question, by now, whats the Verdict on that old vs new OWC ACCELSIOR cars, the one for the old towers vs the one for the new one? Since the old one is only half the price, that one would be very tempting.. do we know if it works fine?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
oh but one more question, by now, whats the Verdict on that old vs new OWC ACCELSIOR cars, the one for the old towers vs the one for the new one? Since the old one is only half the price, that one would be very tempting.. do we know if it works fine?
There are several posts about the old version not working correctly when installed in a 2019 Mac Pro.

Reactions: chfilm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.