Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Okay... what's the deal with this? This is the 3rd SuperDrive I have tried in my Mac Pro (to run with the stock Sony) and ALL of them so far have troubles waking from spin down mode. I don't know what to do anymore. Is my Mac Pro broken? Every time a disc is left in my non Sony drive, it does not spin up properly. When I try to eject a sleeping disk, my cursor gets all jumpy for 10-15 seconds and when that's over... the drive spins back up again and unmounts the disc (but, does not eject) and then the disc remounts on the desktop and finally I can eject it normally again.

What is going on? Could it be my OS install? I'm running a Mac Pro with 10.4.9 and 3GB of RAM. I can't believe it does this with the

DVR-112D
DVR-109AB
Lacie NEC (taken from a FireWire case)

I can't get any drive to work along side my Sony correctly. The weird thing is... the Sony is fine after it spins down. I hit eject and it just comes right out.

Update. I did a test. I unplugged the bottom Sony drive so that ONLY the Pioneer DVR-112D was plugged in. When I rebooted the Mac Pro, it said there were NO DRIVES at all! So I figured it was because I put the jumper on Master so I switched it to Cable Select and rebooted... still no drives. So I plugged in the bottom Sony drive again and now it sees both drives. What the heck?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.