Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerUser86

macrumors member
May 14, 2001
Kobe, Japan
Sounds like a fake to me.

it sounds fake, for a few reasons:
1. the heat output. two G4's chuggin' away under a case less than an inch thick is bound to cause problems.
2. power consumption. no battery could stand being drained by two G4's for very long. we would probably see drastically reduced running times, like from 4 hours to 1.5 hours.
3. Unfeasability. Stand back and think critically about this for a moment. Who in their right mind would put two of the most powerful processors into a thin laptop? It doesn't make sense. Thats not to say that Apple wouldn't be the ones to do it, but I just think they won't.
I personally would really like to see this happen, but I don't think it will, there are just too many flaws. So for now, keep hoping

Onyxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2001
hmmm

i totally agree on the heat and size issues. But i have a crazy idea.
We have all heard about the G5 having 4 on chip processors. Would it be possible to make a dual on chip processor? True it would still put out a hell of a lot of heat but maybe the fan is on continuous and the heat sink has been improved (using gell instead of the white cardboard-like stuff they have right now.
Hey you never know with apple. Hey mabe osx will finally launch apps at a respectible rate in the finder with that second processor ;-)
oh well it would be pretty cool anyway.

PowerUser86

macrumors member
May 14, 2001
Kobe, Japan
Where did you hear about a G5 and it having 4 on chip processors? the guy who thought that half-baked idea must have been smoking something!

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Power4-Server

The Power4 is derived from the PowerPC architecture, MacOS X should be comparatively easy to port ...
This is just speculation, but I'd love to see a Mac Workstation with one or two of these beast. Maybe a high end server ...
The sad thing is that I am sure, I couldn't afford one ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.