Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac3687

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
I saw something on Digg yesterday about a laptop that had two screens, but I didn't really lok too far into it. I was thinking today though, wouldn't it be neat to design a laptop where there is a normal screen up top, and where the keyboard is is instead another screen that is touch sensitive. When you want a normal laptop, it could display a keyboard. When you want a tablet, it sets itself up like a tablet. You could maybe also orient the notbook sideways on your desk to get more space wen working with graphics/video. Somewhow Apple's new touch interface could also be implemented. If this has already been talked about or is old news, I'm sorry, it just sorta popped in my head earlier.

Blurg

May 3, 2005
I think that would be really cool. I wonder if the lack of tactile feedback would start to become an issue though, for those who had to do a lot of typing. On the iPhone I don't think it will be a huge problem because most people won't be typing for extended lengths of time. But like typing a novel on a touch screen might not be so fun.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I think that would be really cool. I wonder if the lack of tactile feedback would start to become an issue though, for those who had to do a lot of typing. On the iPhone I don't think it will be a huge problem because most people won't be typing for extended lengths of time. But like typing a novel on a touch screen might not be so fun.

I Agree, for typing, people like to push buttons. They like to feel the resistance and texture of each key so they know that they've pushed it.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Yes, the feel of a button moving below your finger helps a lot, I've used touch sensitive keyboards like that and I just can't work with them...

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
Way too expensive and years away, having a second screen would make the laptop thicker, which is something apple won't do

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
im sure if no one ever knew a button keyboard, they would say pushing buttons to type?????? i cant imagine not using a touchscreen!

i dunno much like how no one today can really imagine using a rotary phone

i personally think a touch screen keyboard would be pretty cool

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
well that's when you use a real full sized keyboard anyway - if you want tactilness. I'm sure noone uses a trackpad over a mouse anyday - but Apple uses those on their laptops. The lack of tactileness would just have to be something people would have to get used to. Hell, even with my macbook I use an external full sized keyboard anyway - and I'm sure most people do.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
with a touchscreen KB, how much screen real estate do you gain anyway? anyway, I actually prefer my MBP's keyboard over the apple BT desktop one. It's just so...so... clicky!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I Agree, for typing, people like to push buttons. They like to feel the resistance and texture of each key so they know that they've pushed it.

Yeah, I'm like that too. But if people like me and the rest of the world could get used to typing into a screen, imagine the possibilities.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
The touch screen vibrates when you press a key on the touch screen.

Is this similar to the Alpine car stereo feedback? I think it's called pulse-touch.

Crutchfield said:
Though touch-screen monitors are nothing new, this is the first to offer a unique "tactile" feedback. Alpine embedded piezoelectric elements within the screen that either expand or contract when pressure is applied, resulting in a perceptible "click" when the screen is touched. Though I haven't counted, Alpine indicates the screen is capable of creating eight different and unique types of feedback, depending on the screen and type of control touched. In addition to the tangible feedback, most buttons also elicit a slight audible feedback. Not quite a "beep", more like a subtle "boop." Say it out loud a few times, and you'll hear the difference (just make sure no one else is around while you try this).

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I can't believe anyone actually thinks not having physical buttons would be a good idea...

Heck, I *HATED* that about my 3G iPod, which is probably why it's the only generation not to use some form of physical button. I'd probably hate that about the iPhone too...but doing that to an entire computer?!?

tertiaryAdjunct

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2007

Audio probably isn't enough feedback for a typing on a sub notebook. I can see that for a phone, but not a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.