Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Captain.Slow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
Chester, England
Has anyone seen any changes announced for those running Dual SIMS?

Only one I saw during the keynote was iMessage support on both lines (a welcome addition), but disappointing that nothing else has been revealed.

It has to be said that the current implementation isn't exactly the best.

Reactions: BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2010
North Somerset
Totally agree, missed the iMessage part... but there was mention of multiple iCloud accounts, 1 for work 1 for home.

So hopefully they will have made the workflow slicker than it is in iOS12

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Ah cool, thanks for sharing - not so bad then!

Would like to see improvements with how iOS handles contacts between the two lines though. I seem to have issues where assigning a contact to a line doesn't stick at the moment :(

That works for me. One thing I’d like is assigning my work or private number to a colleagues work or private number. So if I call his work number it uses my work number etc. Right now it only sees the contact and not the fact that there might be multiple numbers. My work around has been to default to work number but when I want to call him privately I use FaceTime audio. With ios 13 this won’t work though as both number will have FaceTime.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I’d like to be able to click on a contact and be prompted which line to use. Currently if they default to your personal line and you’re away roaming for example you may want to use your work line. Currently if you change it to work you have to go back into the contact after the call and change it back to personal. Crazy.

Reactions: satpak

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
That works for me. One thing I’d like is assigning my work or private number to a colleagues work or private number. So if I call his work number it uses my work number etc. Right now it only sees the contact and not the fact that there might be multiple numbers. My work around has been to default to work number but when I want to call him privately I use FaceTime audio. With ios 13 this won’t work though as both number will have FaceTime.

Could you not just make a second contact containing his personal phone number?

Reactions: NeshyD

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Sure I could. But I’d probably have 100 duplicates if I did that. I like having one name with all info

Agreed. Thats a bad idea. I’d have hundreds of duplicates too.

Don't have a dual SIM device to test this, but FYI you can link multiple contacts together. What I don't know is whether that would lead to one setting for both contacts (pointless) or allow a separate setting for each contact card (desired effect) presenting them as one afterwards - give it a try?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Don't have a dual SIM device to test this, but FYI you can link multiple contacts together. What I don't know is whether that would lead to one setting for both contacts (pointless) or allow a separate setting for each contact card (desired effect) presenting them as one afterwards - give it a try?

Maybe I’ll test it later. But I’d still have to create the duplicates. A lot of manual labor. Just wish you could tap and hold a contacts number and then select use work number for this etc.

Reactions: satpak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.