Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2015
In reading John Gruber's review today, I noted that he mentions that using dual sims can wreak havoc with iMessage confusing the numbers. He mentions it's a problem when associating the second phone number with your iCloud account. So, two questions for the forum:

(1) Is this your experience as well?
(1a) How did you fix it?
(2) If I have a second SIM on the phone, does it HAVE to be assigned to my iCloud account, or can it just be separate and, say, not partake in things like iMessage?

This isn't, I think, a question specific to the no-SIM-card issue on the 14's, but general.

Thanks!

ascNYC

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
I run dual SIM's in my PM13 (one Verizon physical SIM - Work and one AT&T eSIM - personal) and have not had any issues with any of the apps including iMessage.

iCloud signs in under your Apple ID which is separate from your cellular carrier(s) so there should be no issue there.

With iMessage it's a unified inbox where both numbers' messages come in without issue. In the iMessage settings I can choose if I want one or both lines to be included (I choose both) and the same thing applies for FaceTime. So if you want to receive texts and iMessages from one, both or none you can do so easily.

In settings, you are able to set your default voice and data line. For example, I use my corporate SIM for default data and my personal eSIM for default voice. Under the data setting, I can also select "Allow Cellular Data Switching" which allows dynamic switching of my two SIMS when there is no or weak data on one line. Having two different carriers has been great in those areas where there's a dominant carrier.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2015
I run dual SIM's in my PM13 (one Verizon physical SIM - Work and one AT&T eSIM - personal) and have not had any issues with any of the apps including iMessage.

iCloud signs in under your Apple ID which is separate from your cellular carrier(s) so there should be no issue there.

With iMessage it's a unified inbox where both numbers' messages come in without issue. In the iMessage settings I can choose if I want one or both lines to be included (I choose both) and the same thing applies for FaceTime. So if you want to receive texts and iMessages from one, both or none you can do so easily.

In settings, you are able to set your default voice and data line. For example, I use my corporate SIM for default data and my personal eSIM for default voice. Under the data setting, I can also select "Allow Cellular Data Switching" which allows dynamic switching of my two SIMS when there is no or weak data on one line. Having two different carriers has been great in those areas where there's a dominant carrier.

Ah, thank you very much for this! I understand what you're saying about iMessage being a combined inbox (I understand that Voice Mail is the same way), but is it visually clear which messages are through which number? And is my assumption correct that when you text in a message that was from your Verizon line it does the outgoing text through that number, and when you text in a message that was from your AT&T line it does the outgoing in THAT number?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.