Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I'm thinking about getting an eSIM for my 5 week trip to Canada next week.

I will have wifi in the hotel only, but want use outside of wifi too.

I want the eSIM to be active for mobile data only.
I want my primary physical SIM to be the default one for wifi - specifically whatsapp/imessage/browsing/FaceTime.

Unfortunately it seems you can't just put one SIM in airplane mode, so is there a better way to do this? Can you toggle on/off one of the SIMs? ie. when I leave the hotel I toggle off my physical SIM and use only the eSIM? Then toggle off the eSIM when back in the hotel with wifi?

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I'm thinking about getting an eSIM for my 5 week trip to Canada next week.

I will have wifi in the hotel only, but want use outside of wifi too.

I want the eSIM to be active for mobile data only.
I want my primary physical SIM to be the default one for wifi - specifically whatsapp/imessage/browsing/FaceTime.

Unfortunately it seems you can't just put one SIM in airplane mode, so is there a better way to do this? Can you toggle on/off one of the SIMs? ie. when I leave the hotel I toggle off my physical SIM and use only the eSIM? Then toggle off the eSIM when back in the hotel with wifi?
You will simply designate your Canadian eSIM as the one to be used for cellular data. (There’s an option to do that in Settings.) Your primary SIM will then not be used for data, but you will still be able to make calls on that number. Instant messaging apps will continue to work regardless as they just need the data connection and don’t particularly care which SIM (or WiFi) provides that. When you’re in WiFi range, WiFi will be used just as when you only have a single SIM in your phone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.