Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Hi all,

When dual SIM is enabled, many of these apps don't make or receive calls. This happens in Facebook Messenger and Google Duo as examples. It stays as "connecting" and nothing happens. This fixes itself if I disable one of the SIMs or if I'm on Wifi. I had an iphone last year when dual sim was new, and the same thing happened. I bought a new one today, and the issue still hasn't been fixed. Anybody know how this can possibly be fixed? I reported to facebook, google, and apple last year, but they all have the tendency to never reply.

Anyone know the solution other than to disable a SIM?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’ve been using dual sim setup for years and everything seems to be working as expected. Have you set everything up properly? You can only choose one of the SIM cards for data connection.

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Hi yes I am aware that only one SIM works for data connection. However, do you use facebook messenger or Google Duo at all? If you try placing a call, it gets stuck at "connecting" whenever dual sim is active. I have to physically go and disable a line, and then messenger and google duo start to work.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Hi yes I am aware that only one SIM works for data connection. However, do you use facebook messenger or Google Duo at all? If you try placing a call, it gets stuck at "connecting" whenever dual sim is active. I have to physically go and disable a line, and then messenger and google duo start to work.

I don’t use any of those products but since it’s only on specific apps it’s more to do with the apps than the device itself. Other than pointing it out to Facebook and Google there’s not much you can do really, as I see it.

Although I’m wondering how an app is dependent on dual sim feature?! all it needs is active data connection.

sjhotshot

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi all,

When dual SIM is enabled, many of these apps don't make or receive calls. This happens in Facebook Messenger and Google Duo as examples. It stays as "connecting" and nothing happens. This fixes itself if I disable one of the SIMs or if I'm on Wifi. I had an iphone last year when dual sim was new, and the same thing happened. I bought a new one today, and the issue still hasn't been fixed. Anybody know how this can possibly be fixed? I reported to facebook, google, and apple last year, but they all have the tendency to never reply.

Anyone know the solution other than to disable a SIM?
I have the exact same problem with my iPhone 11 pro max and it happens to me on WhatsApp calls.. basically the SIM card data connection is not stable and annoying for a phone so expensive.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I have the exact same problem with my iPhone 11 pro max and it happens to me on WhatsApp calls.. basically the SIM card data connection is not stable and annoying for a phone so expensive.

This is not true. I use Skype, FaceTime, zoom, slack and signal for audio and video calls from time to time. It all works fine.

Curious, my primary data connection is on the eSIM. Do you guys have the same setup?

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
This is not true. I use Skype, FaceTime, zoom, slack and signal for audio and video calls from time to time. It all works fine.

Curious, my primary data connection is on the eSIM. Do you guys have the same setup?

I can confirm that skype and facetime work. The apps that I'm specifically having issues with are Facebook Messenger and Google Duo. I haven't tried the others except skype / facetime, which seem to work. In all cases, I tried using eSIM for data, and then switching to the physical sim for data. Thanks

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I can confirm that skype and facetime work. The apps that I'm specifically having issues with are Facebook Messenger and Google Duo. I haven't tried the others except skype / facetime, which seem to work. In all cases, I tried using eSIM for data, and then switching to the physical sim for data. Thanks

This means the issue you’re facing is categorically with the specific apps.

Borhan Nasr

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2020
I have exactly the same issue, the only way is to set the non data line to LTE,VoLTE Off or 3G, waiting for Facebook update to fix this issue

• Love
Reactions: Kimchheng

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
No issues here,

I use “data only“ tablet sim as my primary data line via eSIM and my voice + data sim in physical sim.

I have it setup like this, so that my data comes from my tablet sim as it has more and my voice + data plan has less of a bucket on carrier B, however this combo allows me to have data ON all the time.

As Y’all are aware, if I didn’t have data on my voice line, I wouldn’t have any Internet access when on a call.

I don’t have any issues tho with any apps for video and audio VoIP calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.