Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robyonts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2017
Afghanistan
How do I display dual time zones (Home & Roam) on the lock screen?

Not a widget that I have to swipe right for, right on the main lock screen seen when I "raise to wake".

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How do I display dual time zones (Home & Roam) on the lock screen?

Not a widget that I have to swipe right for, right on the main lock screen seen when I "raise to wake".
Not something that iOS offers. The choices are really a widget, as you mentioned, or perhaps some jailbreak tweak that might offer that (if jailbroken)

robyonts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2017
Afghanistan
So I have to risk security vulnerabilities to have something as simple as displaying dual time, something Android has done forever... Sometimes I really wonder why I switched to an iOS/iPhone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I have to risk security vulnerabilities to have something as simple as displaying dual time, something Android has done forever... Sometimes I really wonder why I switched to an iOS/iPhone.
Security vulnerabilities? And yes, iOS and Android are fairly different in various respects, something that has been that way pretty much from the beginning and has been known since about that time.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
To save you trouble in the future. If you need to ask just assume iOS can't do that. Lol

I have to ask though, since time zones vary per hour and you only want to have 2 (assuming 1 is your current time) do you actually need it?

I have family in a different time zone that is 3 hours behind me. I've never wondered what time it was there since the math is well....second nature easy.... Benefit of the doubt I guess, if you were used to it in Android it would annoying to not have it now so that reasonable.

What security concerns do you have? Swiping right to your widgets shouldn't reveal too much sensitive information (its information anyone that can get your phone could access btw), you could put the time and something else at the top so its all that is seen be people looking over your shoulder. Or you could just ask Siri if you have it enabled from the lock screen.

Hope this helps some.

EDIT: Re read this, I don't mean to sound snarky about doing the math. Added the benefit of the doubt.

Kl0

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
I have to ask though, since time zones vary per hour and you only want to have 2 (assuming 1 is your current time) do you actually need it?

I have family in a different time zone that is 3 hours behind me. I've never wondered what time it was there since the math is well....second nature easy.... Benefit of the doubt I guess, if you were used to it in Android it would annoying to not have it now so that reasonable.t.

Not to sound mean, but some of us have friends and colleagues around the world. I have friends in Nepal for example and Nepal is GMT+5:45. Yes. That’s a 3/4 time zone. I live in Texas. So yea, it’s actually hard to do the math sometimes. Daylight savings doesn’t make it easier.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Not to sound mean, but some of us have friends and colleagues around the world. I have friends in Nepal for example and Nepal is GMT+5:45. Yes. That’s a 3/4 time zone. I live in Texas. So yea, it’s actually hard to do the math sometimes. Daylight savings doesn’t make it easier.

That does sound mean...toward Texans.

I have a friend in Bogata and a couple others in Mumbai. I've been asking Siri which seems to work very well. While you wont always know at a glance its a fairly quick hands free way of know the time in other parts of the world.

IMG_3124.png

Kl0

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
That does sound mean...toward Texans.

I have a friend in Bogata and a couple others in Mumbai. I've been asking Siri which seems to work very well. While you wont always know at a glance its a fairly quick hands free way of know the time in other parts of the world.

Yea, I mean that's definitely a way to do it, but I usually just type "time singapore" or the like and it's equally fast for me. It still takes that 20 seconds or so when I want to see it in just a glance. Even if I could just swipe the phone left on the lock screen I suppose that would be okay -- with a widget or whatnot.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yea, I mean that's definitely a way to do it, but I usually just type "time singapore" or the like and it's equally fast for me. It still takes that 20 seconds or so when I want to see it in just a glance. Even if I could just swipe the phone left on the lock screen I suppose that would be okay -- with a widget or whatnot.
Yeah, a widget would do it, like World Clock Today Widget from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/world-clock-today-widget/id956377119 or World Clock from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/world-clock-by-timeanddate.com/id959962122?

telederm

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
To save you trouble in the future. If you need to ask just assume iOS can't do that. Lol

I have family in a different time zone that is 3 hours behind me. I've never wondered what time it was there since the math is well....second nature easy.... Benefit of the doubt I guess, if you were used to it in Android it would annoying to not have it now so that reasonable.

What security concerns do you have? Swiping right to your widgets shouldn't reveal too much sensitive information (its information anyone that can get your phone could access btw), you could put the time and something else at the top so its all that is seen be people looking over your shoulder. Or you could just ask Siri if you have it enabled from the lock screen.

Hope this helps some.

EDIT: Re read this, I don't mean to sound snarky about doing the math. Added the benefit of the doubt.
I wonder why some people try to defend a system that cannot hold a candle to the more advanced android phones. I shifted to a 8+ to find that my android from 2 years back is far better in many ways. sigh!

Reactions: cynics

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wonder why some people try to defend a system that cannot hold a candle to the more advanced android phones. I shifted to a 8+ to find that my android from 2 years back is far better in many ways. sigh!
People use what works for them. It's basically how it's always been for many things in life. On the other hand, some wonder why some people would go through the trouble of registering somewhere just to try to dig up an old thread out of nowhere really for no real reason other than just to put something down and tout something else.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Security vulnerability? As in "jailbreak"? Yes. Maybe Android would be a better fit, if dual timezone clocks is a necessity for you. Maybe Android has done that "forever", but iOS has never done that. Do your homework and make an ecosystem choice based upon which platform best suits your needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.