Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
This is a really, really impressive browser. Very smooth. Can’t pin tabs, though. I will test this for the next month.

Reactions: srbNYC

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I received the beta invite this morning and installed it on i5 MBP 13” 10th gen (Catalina) and Studio Max Base (latest OS). Thumbs up on both! Far better than horridly piggy Chrome, nearly as bad Safari and dodgy/weird at times Firefox.

I’ve been running DDG browser on my Android phone since it was released and other family members are running the iOS version.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
DDG browser seems super fast but really needs a redesign of history on start page. It's very spaced out and leads with domains rather than specific pages so it's hard to identify the pages you were on.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
DDG browser seems super fast but really needs a redesign of history on start page. It's very spaced out and leads with domains rather than specific pages so it's hard to identify the pages you were on.
It needs extensibility for content blocking as well.

I was impressed with the browser, however. Very fast.

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
I agree it could use some refinement. I rarely collect enough history due to using the burn feature, but bookmarks are a weak area. There is no current way to sort or filter bookmarks. It is a beta though, and I’m assuming refinements are forthcoming.

Have you sent feedback to DDG?

Reactions: srbNYC

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
DuckDuckGo has amazing features and it’s my go to search engine. But they’re limiting their reach, and I know it’s superficial, but what is holding them back is their amateur look. Yes, the duck is cute and funny but new users see it and don’t give it a chance because it’s hard to take it seriously. Time for a rebrand.

I wish Apple would acquire them and rename it “Search” or “Siri Search”. Integrate it deeply into iOS and macOS and leave the website up to machine learn from users from other operating systems.

Google pays Apple not to develop search.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Google pays Apple not to develop search.

We know that, but at some point, it could become an existential threat to Apple to let their direct competitor control search. Google is playing nice and paying Apple because they need iOS users, but if like with Google Maps, they start limiting features or start demanding more data on Apple's users, Apple needs to be ready to cut ties and go on their own with Search. DuckDuckGo would be a good starting point.

Reactions: planteater

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
We know that, but at some point, it could become an existential threat to Apple to let their direct competitor control search. Google is playing nice and paying Apple because they need iOS users, but if like with Google Maps, they start limiting features or start demanding more data on Apple's users, Apple needs to be ready to cut ties and go on their own with Search. DuckDuckGo would be a good starting point.

Apple's executing very well in difficult circumstances. They probably have search in development or at least plans for it in case they need it. At the moment, the amount that they are receiving from Google is rather eye-popping. I use Google search because it works the best for me. I've tried DDG many times and there are a lot of search results missing or the quality is poor. This is, in particular, trying to solve tech problems or to figure out how to do something.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
The Mac Beta is now available for all. At the very least, DuckDuckGo looks like a good place on the Mac to view YouTube videos. I get extraordinarily high CPU load viewing videos on my M1 MacBook Pro, and none of that on DDG. Also, the advertising load is far lower on DDG.

I asked the MR staff to do a review of this beta product on the site. They're obviously very busy with iPad announcements this week, but they will try to look at it in a week or so.

Reactions: VulchR and SFjohn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.