Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Can an iPhone 6 that's currently running iOS 9 be backed up then updated to iOS 12, then use the "restore from backup" feature to get all the photos and app data back? (if the apps are still available in App Store)

Normally for a single digit upgrade I know it's no problem- but this is upgrading three versions: 9 to 12.

I see it now has to be done exclusively through iTunes- no wireless upgrading.

Thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I think so, even though backup version has jumped three major versions.

Speaking of which, there is currently no viable way to upgrade straight to Big Sur beta 1 without using any macOS prior to Mojave.

Reactions: now i see it

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
With an older device and that many updates I’d also make sure to have a backup of the photos accessible by another app.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
With an older device and that many updates I’d also make sure to have a backup of the photos accessible by another app.
But you wouldn't just be backing up this supposedly important content all the time.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Can an iPhone 6 that's currently running iOS 9 be backed up then updated to iOS 12, then use the "restore from backup" feature to get all the photos and app data back? (if the apps are still available in App Store)

Normally for a single digit upgrade I know it's no problem- but this is upgrading three versions: 9 to 12.

I see it now has to be done exclusively through iTunes- no wireless upgrading.

Thanks

There should be no problem. The backup actually doesn't back up the OS (because that can always be downloaded from Apple), it doesn't back up the apps (only a list of apps, so the apps can always be downloaded from Apple), but it backs up all the data.

So when you "restore from backup", the new phone downloads the latest iOS from Apple, then it checks the list of apps and puts empty versions of these apps on your phone, then it restores all the data. It then starts downloading the apps, and if you try to launch one, that is downloaded first. This should all just work.
[automerge]1593768205[/automerge]
I think so, even though backup version has jumped three major versions.

Speaking of which, there is currently no viable way to upgrade straight to Big Sur beta 1 without using any macOS prior to Mojave.
Beta versions are always different. For a start, someone has to test that all the possible update combinations work.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
It's still scary. I keep putting it off cuz there's no going back. I don't want to kick myself after I do it and say "why oh why the hell did I do it?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.