Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AXone1814

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2018
I’m quite interested in the fitness+ strength workouts which I see most require dumbbells for. In the previews they seem to just refer to light, medium or heavy. Just wondered if anyone who’s done these could advice would sort of weight dumbbells add most suitable for an adult male of decent fitness/strength level already?

lambo13

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
I've just done one strength workout that called for 'heavy and light' weights. I'm pretty fit and at least for that one, a set of 30s and a set of 15s was great. A lot of 'time under tension' type exercises so unless you're Arnold, you're probably not going to need much heavier than that.

Not sure if that one video that called for 'heavy and light' weight is representative of all of them though.

AXone1814

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2018
I've just done one strength workout that called for 'heavy and light' weights. I'm pretty fit and at least for that one, a set of 30s and a set of 15s was great. A lot of 'time under tension' type exercises so unless you're Arnold, you're probably not going to need much heavier than that.

Not sure if that one video that called for 'heavy and light' weight is representative of all of them though.
Thanks so much for this. Really helpful as a guideline. I’m assuming you’re talking pounds? I’m in the U.K. where all our stuff is in KG.

scott182

macrumors member
May 23, 2004
Madison, WI
I'd second what lambo13 said and if you're in the UK, you'd probably get by on most workouts (Apple Fitness+ or otherwise) with, at a minimum, a set of 7.5 kg and 15 kg weights (I'm in the US and assuming those are commonly available). Depending on your strength level, you may find a 5 kg set useful, but what I do when I don't have the right weight is just struggle through it as intervals don't tend to be very long in the home workout videos. Then you just add weights to your setup over time to fill in the gaps.

Reactions: lambo13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.