Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-All

Can anyone recommend a cheap - but passable (hotmail and yahoo accounts don't work with this) email provider?

Why? I need a dummy account I can use in online signup forms so that all spammers send there, instead of my real account.

Boy, it'd be nice if DOTmac would provide something like this - a 'shadow' account.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Re: Dummy Email Account?

Originally posted by patrick0brien
Can anyone recommend a cheap - but passable (hotmail and yahoo accounts don't work with this) email provider?
Ummm, define "passable"? I mean, what is it about HotMail or Yahoo Mail that make them "impassable"? ;)

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Re: Re: Dummy Email Account?

Originally posted by Lyle
Ummm, define "passable"? I mean, what is it about HotMail or Yahoo Mail that make them "impassable"? ;)

Right, I also use a Yahoo account as a dummy and don't have problems with it. I only go there every few months or so and delete everything.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I actually still put in my e-mail address from my old ISP when they don't actually have to e-mail me.

Look around for e-mail accounts though. I'd do a Google on that one if it were me.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
I, as well, use Yahoo as my dummy account. I even use it with Mail.app. My suggestion is to configure you outgoing mail server to that of your ISP if it isn't working. I know Semo.net and Cox both have this problem of STMP outgoing mail. I have to use "mail.semo.net" for me to send my mail. But it works.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: Re: Dummy Email Account?

Originally posted by Lyle

-Lyle

Some order forms insist on an email account that is specifically not Yahoo, or Hotmail. I can guess the reasons, but only guess.

I'll check on Anonymous.to MrMacman.

Thanks guys.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-MrMacman

Oh that's [http://www.anonymous.to/] perfect! Just what the doctor ordered!

Hehe, anytime. :)

I put all of my 'this is gonna give me spam isn't it?' things in there.
for certain sites I also change my name so like for gap I know that gap sold my name to spamers because my first name isn't jeregapmiah it is jeremiah. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.