Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A lot of talk generated about mention of a book written 55 years ago. The movie (remake) is due out Dec 2020. Brought over from the Book thread.

9B2B76F4-E96A-4038-A79D-5A728EB78079.jpeg

My second read of the original novel. As soon as I finish it, I’ll be jumping into the 1984 Movie Dune directed by David Lynch.
A14DE246-3C93-4F67-BE89-ED00231B1991.jpeg

A02A5C79-A16E-4AEA-9D2D-9F5D2DA13444.jpeg

Circa 1984

I had read Dune 7 years after it was published 1965. I have it in ebook format and was hesitant to reread it, but I started it and one page later was immediately sucked back in, such a great narrative, easy to immerse, good reading, interesting characters, with an intriguing plot. Closer to the start than the finish and enjoying every minute of it. And then there is THIS. :D

View attachment 887237
One of my Top reads ever. The entire series.
It was like reading a Sci Fi Bible.

I had to quit.
I have read the whole series several times - even the newer prequels (Paul of Dune, Machine Crusade, etc.) - might have to do a complete reboot and read everything in chronological order in preparation of the 2020 movie - I have high hopes - but am realistic - hard to do this justice - IMHO
When I read Dune there were no sequels, maybe this time I’ll take it further. :)
So far, the story (Dune) has moved from Caladan to Arrakis, Duke Leto has been set up, an attempt on the life of his son, alliances being made with the Fremen, and not one begat mentioned. ;)
Here is a web site with all books - “House Atreides” is a good place to start :p

I had these all in hardcover at one time now I’m gonna have to rebuy them all again in digital format
I received a copy of Dune for Christmas. I am looking forward to starting the series. :)
Ah, great book. I've read all of them, including the KJA/BH additions (which I mostly enjoyed, with the exception of the intra-original Dune books, that is Paul of Dune and Winds of Dune).
[automerge]1578516259[/automerge]

Can't wait for Villenueve's two movies.
Despite not being a great movie, and certainly the most awful among David Lynch's movies, I still enjoy watching the 1984 version. The miniseries "Dune" is more true to the book, and the "Children of Dune" miniseries is also quite good!
[automerge]1578516354[/automerge]

Disagree! God Emperor is my favorite. It's a very deep book on ruling, philosophy, sacrifice, the future etc.

Are you sure?

There seems to me the was a whole lot of wandering/meadering around about this and that and no dialogue at all.

I bet when you find what I'm talking about you'll post about it.

And for the record I could be wrong.

I hope you enjoy.

There was a reason I quit reading though.
No problemo. This is my second read, although the first read was a long time ago. I’ll report back any begats. :) Geneaology appears to play some element in the plot as far as suspicion of betrayal at the hand of a loved one. And then there is Maud ‘dib.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Actually "Dune" by Frank Herbert was first serialized in the old "Science Fiction and Fantasy" magazine before it came out in the full book version. Great novel, one of my all time favorites.
Without researching it, my impression that the story was published in the magazine (2parts) in 1965?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
It might have been in 1965 though I'm not certain of that time frame. The SF Fantasy Mag stopped publishing not too long after that.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
My father had the original series which we both read and discussed a lot as well as Asimov's work. Have not seen the first film, nor read the prequel series.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Read the first book, and to me that is all I needed to read. It was good, not great, and there were a couple of parts I had to really push through in the middle.

I watched the movie long ago and thought it was horrible then. I re-watched it after I had read the books and well, it was still horrible in my opinion. Now I have heard there is a three hour cut of the movie out there. I have not seen it though and word on the street is that it is much much better than the movie that was released.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Dune directed by David Lynch - Great movie. I still havn't been able to find the 4 hour extended version. I don't even know if it ever came out on DVD.

AND Dune 2 the video game for DOS!! Loved it.

elemenohme

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2014
Neither the 1984 film nor the 2000 Sci-Fi Channel miniseries did any justice to the novels. I'm not looking forward to this adaptation.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Actually "Dune" by Frank Herbert was first serialized in the old "Science Fiction and Fantasy" magazine before it came out in the full book version. Great novel, one of my all time favorites.

It was published in Analog, not SF&F Magazine. An early version of the story (however revised by BH&KJA) is in the book "The Road to Dune" which contains somewhat interesting material.
[automerge]1578951564[/automerge]
Dune directed by David Lynch - Great movie. I still havn't been able to find the 4 hour extended version. I don't even know if it ever came out on DVD.

Lynch hates that movie! I think he even wanted his name redacted from the longer version of it. (Lynch made the mistake of giving up editing rights).

AND Dune 2 the video game for DOS!! Loved it.

Dune 2 was incredible, and so was Dune 2000. However, I must say that the videogame Dune is a forgotten gem of immersive videogaming.
[automerge]1578951757[/automerge]
This is where I used to buy my Dune books

Galleria-Vittorio-Emanuele-II-5.jpg

The bookstore was between the white and the darker covered areas, on the right of the central aisle in this picture. The librarian's was a young girl named Elena, she used to give me good discounts.

Last edited:

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
It was published in Analog, not SF&F Magazine. An early version of the story (however revised by BH&KJA) is in the book "The Road to Dune" which contains somewhat interesting material.

You're correct! My old memory is fading... :) I remember now because at the time Analog came out with a large format magazine rather than the smaller mag. I collected all the large formats and saved them that is until my wife threw them away during one of our moves. :(

Reactions: yaxomoxay

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

The bookstore was between the white and the darker covered areas, on the right of the central aisle in this picture. The librarian's was a young girl named Elena, she used to give me good discounts.

I can't even reconcile that in my head, it's this absolutely beautiful architecture ... punctuated with a McDonalds :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Read the first book, and to me that is all I needed to read. It was good, not great, and there were a couple of parts I had to really push through in the middle.

I watched the movie long ago and thought it was horrible then. I re-watched it after I had read the books and well, it was still horrible in my opinion. Now I have heard there is a three hour cut of the movie out there. I have not seen it though and word on the street is that it is much much better than the movie that was released.
I had forgotten much of the story, but reading it this time, it pulled me right in, I liked the writing, but I’m only at the point where things go wrong for the Atreides Family on Dune.
[automerge]1578959720[/automerge]
[automerge]1578951564[/automerge]

Lynch hates that movie! I think he even wanted his name redacted from the longer version of it. (Lynch made the mistake of giving up editing rights).

Dune 2 was incredible, and so was Dune 2000. However, I must say that the videogame Dune is a forgotten gem of immersive videogaming.
[automerge]1578951757[/automerge]

Where is this image from?
Interesting comment about how Lynch felt about Dune, the movie.
[automerge]1578959765[/automerge]
Neither the 1984 film nor the 2000 Sci-Fi Channel miniseries did any justice to the novels. I'm not looking forward to this adaptation.
There is always hope.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Where is this image from?

Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, in Milan.

Interesting comment about how Lynch felt about Dune, the movie.

Yeah, it's his biggest regret apparently. I think he was adamant to do a big sci-fi movie after he gave up on directing Star Wars but things got out of hand.
[automerge]1579028951[/automerge]
Anyway I am very hopeful for another adaptation of the book that digs a bit deeper.

I hope that it's a great movie, but the fact that they decided to cast Liet Kynes as a female makes me think that they took serious liberties.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikzn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Yeah, it's his biggest regret apparently. I think he was adamant to do a big sci-fi movie after he gave up on directing Star Wars but things got out of hand.

I hope that it's a great movie, but the fact that they decided to cast Liet Kynes as a female makes me think that they took serious liberties.
I like the architecture. :)

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Regarding Lynch, it would be interesting to speculate just how different Star Wars would have been with him directing. The original Dune (1984) feels much different than SWs.

Regarding Kynes being cast as a female, that in itself does not worry me too much, but I do picture that character as Ian Holmes (The Fifth Element) who is too old for the part now.
Going down the character list, I don’t see that character listed. :confused:

53F00960-3640-49B1-AC62-0922C457D61E.jpeg

Based on a first impression looking at this photo, I prefer the original Paul Atreides, but I’ll withhold judgement until after I see the movie.

C3E9F326-9144-4DEB-A99E-133307C68ACB.jpeg

Last edited:

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver

Regarding Lynch, it would be interesting to speculate just how different Star Wars would have been with him directing. The original Dune (1984) feels much different than SWs.

Regarding Kynes being cast as a female, that in itself does not worry me too much, but I do picture that character as Ian Holmes (The Fifth Element) who is too old for the part now.
Going down the character list, I don’t see that character listed. :confused:

Based on a first impression looking at this photo, I prefer the original Paul Atreides, but I’ll withhold judgement until after I see the movie.

I really enjoyed Timothée Chalamet in the movie "The King" - great acting - So based on that movie I have high hopes for him as Paul Atreides

Also the Dune 2020 Wikipedia link has some interesting info - Hans Zimmer doing the music ? - Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho sounds intriguing ?

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m halfway though the book and am considering watching the 1984 movie. I saw it after I read the book (the first time) and I did not like it, but mostly remember some of the imagery and a grotesque Baron.

Over at Rotten Tomatoes it get’s 53% critic/66% audience rating, not good. Here’s looking forward to December.

Sample critic reviews:
Unless you have the book committed to memory, you'll find it practically impossible to follow the story.
comment: Not exactly true.
—————
An incoherent, strange, plotless, poorly structured mess that has to be seen to really be believed.

Comment: not true, there is a plot, that basically follows the book, but it’s still bad and uninspired.
————-
The problem is that the imagery isn't rooted in any story impulse, and so its power dissipates quickly.

comment: imagery was added, primarily Paul’s Dreams about water, and that the guild navigators and changed from humans to creatures. The latter is not in the book.

Last edited:
Reactions: drlunanerd

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just watched Dune (1984) and the Verdict: OMG, AWE-FUL! :oops: The movie mostly follows the book using dialog from the book, but it is very much abbreviated, shallow, and uninspired, with terrible visuals. It’s as if some amateur made a home movie and had no clue regarding cinematography. This is especially poignant after having just read the book, just what a steaming pile this is.

I have a long list, but a I’ll post some items:
  • David Lynch’s screenplay, he was in over his head. The heart and soul of the story is missing. It was like amateur night at the local high school, just going through the motions.
  • Dark and dreary, almost every scene with steampunk decore.
  • Droning, oppressive music by Toto.
  • Abbreviated to a point where the story is damaged. The intrigue is blunted to a point of who cares. No having to gain trust, Paul basically opens his mouth, and they start yelling his name. Instead of having to prove himself to the Fremen, in 30 seconds, they are esteemed members of the tribe. :rolleyes: Several secondary characters practically just show their faces, Shadout Mapes and Doctor Kynes.
  • Maybe in 1984, the special effects were not completely awful, but they used mostly miniatures that have not aged well.
  • Riding the worm, hohum.
  • As compared to the book, orchestration of Paul drinking the water of life is pretty horrible, with the worms showing up to cheer and wag their heads in approval.
  • Wierding Fighting as far as I know did not include hand held boxes that are yelled into to destroy things, although granted the description was vague in the book, but the impression is this is hand to hand melee fighting, not technology.
  • Patrick Steward was mis-typecast as Guerney Halleck, playing a bad caricature of Capt. Picard.
  • Baron Harkonnen suffers from acute overacting, blame the director.
  • Sting has a presence but he spends most of his time grinning evilly and his to the death fight with Paul is amateurish and uninspired, blame the stunt coordinator.
  • Shawn Young, is uninspired, blame the script.
  • The ending was the Worst, the climax was blah, and Paul Attredies did not snap his fingers and magically make it rain on Dune.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Ouch - don't hold back - lol

TBH - I had that exact impression back in the day when I saw it for the first time - sure was not Star Wars Quality lol

IMHO - they had a better story (Classic Sci Fi ) to work with but f....'d it up

here's hoping this version does the story justice

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ouch - don't hold back - lol

TBH - I had that exact impression back in the day when I saw it for the first time - sure was not Star Wars Quality lol

IMHO - they had a better story (Classic Sci Fi ) to work with but f....'d it up

here's hoping this version does the story justice
I have high hopes (fingers crossed) that the 2020 movie will live up to the book. It certainly can’t be any worse. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.