Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
UK
Since a HD crash and an erase and reinstall via Recovery Mode and transfer of items from a CCC backup (all successful) I now have two apps duplicated in the Notifications section of System Preferences.

Any ideas as to how to get rid of them?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-10-01 at 09.47.55.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-01 at 09.47.55.png
    630.7 KB · Views: 696

ribbo1939

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
Australia
Yes I have noticed that I have cases of 2 x Dropbox (badges, sounds,Banners/Alerts) also, Google Chrome (badges,sounds.banners/alerts).
I also had to erase the HD and reinstall the OS via Recovery Mode from a backup from a time machine.
No idea how to remove the duplicate apps.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Yes I have noticed that I have cases of 2 x Dropbox (badges, sounds,Banners/Alerts) also, Google Chrome (badges,sounds.banners/alerts).
I also had to erase the HD and reinstall the OS via Recovery Mode from a backup from a time machine.
No idea how to remove the duplicate apps.

Same issue with Dropbox and Google Chrome.

Doesn't really bother me since I have notifications off... but even so, the knowledge of this defect remains irritable.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
One of each will be inactive. Apps are removed from that notification area after a certain time with no notifications, so you will just have to wait and they will eventually disappear. Can't remember how long it was but I think it's about a week, definitely less than a month.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
One of each will be inactive. Apps are removed from that notification area after a certain time with no notifications, so you will just have to wait and they will eventually disappear. Can't remember how long it was but I think it's about a week, definitely less than a month.

Been over a week for me and it's still present. I've had notifications turned off since Mountain Lion.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
Been over a week for me and it's still present. I've had notifications turned off since Mountain Lion.
What if you just select the app in the left pane in the Notification prefs and then press the delete (backspace) key? It seems to remove apps for me.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
What if you just select the app in the left pane in the Notification prefs and then press the delete (backspace) key? It seems to remove apps for me.

That seemed to fix the dropbox issue. But Google Chrome still reappears after re-entering the notification preferences.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
If it is re-appearing then it is still active. Chrome is insidious in the amount of hidden processes it installs. Maybe search for a way to fully uninstall it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.