Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Trying to understand why one persons posts are prioritized over another? Already posted a 2022 14 thread and another member wasn't happy about that and requested I delete it. Then they go and post the same thread the next day. I've been supporting MR for many years and really don't understand what's happening. Maybe someone can elaborate on that please instead of a canned response/warning.

Like why?

Reactions: KaliYoni

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Noticed this myself. Wondered what was going on.

Obviously I’m not in the know, but wondering if it’s to do with the title and all the emoticons? When I first saw it I did honestly think it was spam till I saw it was from your account…?

It's not about prioritization. With all due respect, I always do this, and here is the proof. Here is last year's thread. I'm not stepping on anybody's toes. This has become a tradition. The folks in the UK also started their thread today. I have been communicating and planning this with them for months. We picked today's date back in April, 2022.

You are more than welcome to join the fun train. I will appreciate all your contribution and help, respectively.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
It's not about prioritization. With all due respect, I always do this, and here is the proof. Here is last year's thread. I'm not stepping on anybody's toes. This has become a tradition. The folks in the UK also started their thread today. I have been communicating and planning this with them for months. We picked today's date back in April, 2022.

You are more than welcome to join the fun train. I will appreciate all your contribution and help, respectively.

Your messages say otherwise. I asked why you were discussing 2022 in a 2021 thread. You said because it was too early to start another. I decided to start the thread and you message me saying to delete it. The very next day you start the same thread! When only the day before you said it was too early. Tradition has no role here. Someone other than you started a thread. You weren’t happy you didn’t start it so you created a whole new one. If the moss are cool with that, whatever. I think it’s crap honestly.

It all boils down to you wanting what you want, everyone else be damned.

I started a new 2022 with the hopes of getting the discussion there as I was excited as I am every year. Instead, this. Very sour

Your messages say otherwise. I asked why you were discussing 2022 in a 2021 thread. You said because it was too early to start another. I decided to start the thread and you message me saying to delete it. The very next day you start the same thread!
The posts ended up getting deleted. I do not recall sending you a message saying to "delete it". Like I said, in my earlier post. The internet is free and it is a free market.

The thread posted today already has posts and is established with precedent as you see here from last year and activity from today alone.

Please consider yourself joining the thread. You are more than welcome. Thank you!

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thread unlocked.

MacRumors policy is we do not allow preemptive threads like this, so both threads will be disallowed under the policy.

I see there are some previous threads that violate this policy; however, given the order dates for those threads has now past, it is a moot point, so the previous year threads can remain.

@AbSoluTc Your thread was not deleted or otherwise hidden by moderators. What happened is your thread was flagged by a spam tool that is part of the forum software, and once a moderator saw the thread was not spam, the thread was approved and unhidden.

I hope this explains.

Thread unlocked.

MacRumors policy is we do not allow preemptive threads like this, so both threads will be disallowed under the policy.

I see there are some previous threads that violate this policy; however, given the order dates for those threads has now past, it is a moot point, so the previous year threads can remain.

@AbSoluTc Your thread was not deleted or otherwise hidden by moderators. What happened is your thread was flagged by a spam tool that is part of the forum software, and once a moderator saw the thread was not spam, the thread was approved and unhidden.

I hope this explains.
Hi @Weaselboy

Thank you! Can you please advise when would be the appropriate time to post the pre-launch thread, please?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Thread unlocked.

I hope this explains.

Fair and thank you! 😊🙏🏻

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
A simple conditional for thread creation might be:
If you can't order it yet, then a thread about orders is premature.​
So you're telling me that, when the iPhone is announced on a Tuesday, for instance, people shouldn't start a thread about which iPhone they are going to order until preorders open on Friday? @Weaselboy's suggestion ("You cannot post a pre-order thread until after the new iPhone announcement.") seems more appropriate. Respectfully, perhaps the mods need to continue discussion and all get on the same page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saladin12

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So you're telling me that, when the iPhone is announced on a Tuesday, for instance, people shouldn't start a thread about which iPhone they are going to order until preorders open on Friday? @Weaselboy's suggestion ("You cannot post a pre-order thread until after the new iPhone announcement.") seems more appropriate. Respectfully, perhaps the mods need to continue discussion and all get on the same page.
I find their responses in unison and quite straightforward. Basically, when the device in question is announced you can make a thread about pre-orders/orders/et al.

Before an official announcement, then it’s considered premature and is disallowed under policy.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I find their responses in unison and quite straightforward. Basically, when the device in question is announced you can make a thread about pre-orders/orders/et al.

Before an official announcement, then it’s considered premature and is disallowed under policy.
That is not AT ALL what @chown33 suggests. I’m curious as to how you could read it that way.

@tobefirst ⚽️ Personally, now that I think about it. I wish those threads were merged together. With all due respect, if another thread was created It would have been ideal to have it merged. That way credit goes to both users. (That's just my opinion). I know the mod's goal is to be fair and treat, everyone, with equal respect. I also hated the fact that it puts the moderators in a tough position so I do feel for them.

I also believe if we start a new thread before the products are announced. It would help out the incoming/outgoing audience to decide which product they would like to order as it gives people the time to decide and make decisions based on recommendations. Lots of discussion goes behind those pre-order threads. It helps out the people, it brings the tech enthusiastic community together and we tend to welcome those who are new to a tech community, If a new thread starts right when pre-order goes live. It will create a lot of confusion. Those pre-order threads are not a competition. It is there to help others. It all comes down to having positive and impactful engagement.

These pre-order threads are also the most engaging threads in MacRumors as well. It truly brings the MacRumors audience together.

I also found this post back in 2007 where merging duplicate threads was an option. I guess this does not exist anymore? This is coming from @arn.

@chown33 stated: A simple conditional for thread creation might be: If you can't order it yet, then a thread about orders is premature.

This would be ideal if Mods can strictly enforce this rule so no one feels like it's about the entitlement. I strongly believe the ultimate goal is to treat everyone with the same level of respect and be fair with everyone. So, no other member feels like being left out.

Last edited:

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
I also believe if we start a new thread before the products are announced. It would help out the incoming/outgoing audience to decide which product they would like to order as it gives people the time to decide and make decisions based on recommendations. Lots of discussion goes behind those pre-order threads. It helps out the people, it brings the tech enthusiastic community together and we tend to welcome those who are new to a tech community, If a new thread starts right when pre-order goes live. It will create a lot of confusion. Those pre-order threads are not a competition. It is there to help others. It all comes down to having positive and impactful engagement.

These pre-order threads are also the most engaging threads in MacRumors as well. It truly brings the MacRumors audience together.

This is key. I got so much advice on the U.K. thread last year. If that thread had started after the iPhone 13 was announced then I would have missed out on many tips (cases, screen protectors to buy etc.). Oh and I'll be very blunt - that U.K. thread is what made me a regular reader of the site and contributor to the forum. It's a shame the mods/staff are trying to arbitrarily constrict this. It's only going to drive MR forum engagement down.

Last edited:

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
You cannot post a pre-order thread until after the new iPhone announcement.

How about an ‘anticipation’ thread for iPhone 14 that doesn’t include the word ‘pre-order’ in the title (and changes when preorders become available). Think we need somewhere to congregate until September to share leaks, expectations, hints/tips and keynote discussion etc.

Any iPhone 14 discussion would no doubt be removed from iPhone 13 threads as being off topic and want to avoid cluttering up the forums with dozens of threads with simple questions.

If you really are insistent on destroying the community spirit then perhaps a sticky in the iPhone forum to explain rather than tucking the rationale away in here would help.

Maybe even ask the community by way of a poll. By all means lock the 13 threads, just give us somewhere to regroup in numbers

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Thread unlocked.

I hope this explains.

..it 100% does NOT explain anything??!

This thread (which is still active), was created in July 2021 : https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e-release-orders-and-dispatch-thread.2304493/

The iPhone announcement came in September 2021.

Why is that thread allowed to continue and yet you have closed down and archived the iPhone 14 thread created by the UK users yesterday??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.