Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manyelski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Hello so i just went to apple shop because my camera won't focus and my iPhone 12 pro max was red flagged "to be send to HQ repair shop". The apple rep assured me it is just for quality assurance. I have my back glass repaired at a third party shop because it was cracked. Would they find out and is this the reason it was red-flagged?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It's flagged usually because your serial number was used elsewhere in the world for a device warranty replacement. In other words, based on the serial number, your device should already be out of service. This happens because it's possible to clone different serial numbers onto iPhones. Apple needs to physically inspect your phone to ensure it really is genuine.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Are you assuming or you know first hand?

Impossible to be certain because each Apple Store has different Genius Bar staff. Some are more discerning than others. In general, they're not going to care unless your glass is damaged or has obviously been replace.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
They just want to inspect it. You will get it back. If for some reason there was an issue with the rear glass they would just cancel your warranty or what ever.

James

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.