Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redirected

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2016
Was cleaning my Black iPhone 12 this morning and noticed these dust particles in between the screen and the metal frame. is anyone also having the same issue?

IMG_38681.jpg

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Even allowing for the magnification, I don't have anything close to the gap that you have between the frame of the phone and the screen. Looks like something might be wrong, there.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
That gap shouldn’t be there, return it. Otherwise long term moisture and more dirt/dust will get inside the phone.

Openworld1234

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2019
Had this on my old Launch XS Max big large gaps large enough to put a piece of paper between the gaps asked for a replacement unit...

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I’ve had dust get it in there. Use the Apple sticker that came with the iPhone. Not the actual sticker itself but the paper piece. It slides easily into the edge no problem.

Redirected

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2016
Thanks guys for the replies, seems like this is not normal. Have an appointment scheduled with the Apple store.

Reactions: RRC

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I’ve had dust get it in there. Use the Apple sticker that came with the iPhone. Not the actual sticker itself but the paper piece. It slides easily into the edge no problem.
I don’t think anything should slide in there easily. That means dust and water could damage the phone.

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Even allowing for the magnification, I don't have anything close to the gap that you have between the frame of the phone and the screen. Looks like something might be wrong, there.

That gap shouldn’t be there, return it. Otherwise long term moisture and more dirt/dust will get inside the phone.

I’ve handled 4 iPhone 12 family devices so far and they all have similar gaps. It’s normal. Look closer at your devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Six0Four

rebelbasesloaded

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
Thanks guys for the replies, seems like this is not normal. Have an appointment scheduled with the Apple store.
Please keep me posted on what they say at your appointment.

I've got the same issue along the front top edge of my black iPhone 12. I can slide a piece of paper between the screen and frame on the top front edge, but not on any of the other edges on the front or back of the phone. Also, my girlfriend has the exact same new phone model and hers has no such gaps on any of the edges.

Took it to the Apple Store, and the said it was normal and wouldn't compromise the phone's water resistance. But I'm not convinced.

Reactions: Redirected

rebelbasesloaded

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
@Redirected @louis0nfire Just a quick update... Apple Support has confirmed by phone that the gap is a defect, and they are sending me a replacement phone. That is in spite of the fact that I've had the phone for 35 days now. And it also took no convincing or complaining on my part. I basically just called them to ask for a second opinion after the person at the Genius Bar said it was normal and would be fine.

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
@Redirected @louis0nfire Just a quick update... Apple Support has confirmed by phone that the gap is a defect, and they are sending me a replacement phone. That is in spite of the fact that I've had the phone for 35 days now. And it also took no convincing or complaining on my part. I basically just called them to ask for a second opinion after the person at the Genius Bar said it was normal and would be fine.

Your replacement will have gaps also, just be prepared.

rebelbasesloaded

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
Your replacement will have gaps also, just be prepared.
Hopefully, as with my girlfriend's iPhone 12, it has no gaps on any of the edges; front or back. But if it does, I'll just have to send it back for a replacement again.

I just wanted to mention you in my reply so you could tell your 4 family members that Apple has said the gap is a manufacturing defect. The tolerances of the gaps on all sides should be less than the thickness of a sheet of paper.

Last edited:

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Hopefully, as with my girlfriend's iPhone 12, it has no gaps on any of the edges; front or back. But if it does, I'll just have to send it back for a replacement again.

I just wanted to mention you in my reply so you could tell your 4 family members that Apple has said the gap is a manufacturing defect. The tolerances of the gaps on all sides should be less than the thickness of a sheet of paper.
Mind sharing a zoomed in photo of your girlfriend’s phone to show the difference in the gaps?

rebelbasesloaded

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
Mind sharing a zoomed in photo of your girlfriend’s phone to show the difference in the gaps?
The best comparison can be made using these two images of my phone.

The first is a photo of the top edge (with the gap), and you can see how dust particles have collected in there...
IMG_0143.jpg

And the second image is of the bottom front edge...
IMG_0144.jpg

There is no gap at all on this edge, and all the other edges - front and back - are gapless like this. As are all front and back edges of my girlfriend's phone.

Reactions: Redirected

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008

The first is a photo of the top edge (with the gap), and you can see how dust particles have collected in there...
View attachment 1681984
View attachment 1681985
There is no gap at all on this edge, and all the other edges - front and back - are gapless like this. As are all front and back edges of my girlfriend's phone.
Interesting, thanks.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
It’s a defect. I have a 12PM and at the bottom I have a gap between the screen and bezel - I can see the connector prongs from the lighting port in certain light.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Like I said, it’s not normal despite what some said. Glad Apple are sending you out a new one and hopefully it will be much better.

Redirected

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2016

View attachment 1681984
View attachment 1681985
Dang that is a good update, did not know i had so much gap in there, i am still waiting for my appointment dates, will keep you guys posted.

I will try my luck calling them once on Monday.

leooaxo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
My 12 Pro Max has this gap issue on the left side. If you look with a light closely you can see the gold parts of the volume buttons and silent button. Contacted Apple Support via text chat. And this was their response. Ridiculous.

Attachments

• 6E9A20B2-3F7F-4572-AD31-585F256B531C.jpeg
    6E9A20B2-3F7F-4572-AD31-585F256B531C.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 1,273
  • 8EE4F0A9-A248-4A12-98D1-093A1DCFF798.jpeg
    8EE4F0A9-A248-4A12-98D1-093A1DCFF798.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 2,097

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Went to an Apple Store today. Looked at about 8 other iPhones and they all have gaps. This is on top of the 4 I've seen prior to today. Spoke with a Genius Bar guy and he showed me his personal device which also has a slight gap. Maybe yours is more than normal but 100% of iPhone 12 devices have a gap there.

Alex.jr

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
My mini only has a gap on the left side . Right side I cannot slide a paper in, no gap.

Actually I can see the difference from left to right side. It’s visually noticeable although minimal.

Is this the case with anyone? Only one side instead of the hole frame with a tiny gap.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
It’s a defect. I have a 12PM and at the bottom I have a gap between the screen and bezel - I can see the connector prongs from the lighting port in certain light.
That must be one huge gap on yours considering the lip around the whole inside of the body that the screen sits on.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 12.34.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 12.31.30 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.