Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Hi I'm thinking about getting a camcorder for a project I want to start this summer, Just wondering what sort of quality I would get from a DV camcorder? is there a website where I can download sample DV movies at full quality to see what sort of quality I could expect?

Thanks

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
hmm, I assume you're hoping to see samples from different cameras?

In general, if you get a 3 CCD camera, your quality will be considerably greater - but they cost more.

I'd like to see a comparison, too, so I hope someone comes up with something.

D

Applespider

macrumors G4
When I was doing research on buying last year, I was astonished how few examples of video there were online to help with the decision process. Video takes up a lot of space and bandwidth, I guess.

I found this site; Magazine Video very good. It's in French but it's relatively easy to find the model names and see if they have a video to watch. It's not really high quality but it's not bad.

If not, go to somewhere like the avforums.com and see if anyone has the model you're looking at. You'll sometimes find someone willing to put up a short clip for people to watch. The other problem is how people have compressed it to put online!

I'm in the middle of putting a video onto my iDisk at the moment for a few bods who can't wait til I burn them a DVD. It's from my Sony HC90 (1CCD but 1/3")but has some examples of sunny, nighttime with lights and low light in it so if you want to have a look, I'll let you have the URL later (not sure about posting the link in case the bandwidth does go nuts if it gets picked up)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Any camera model you have in mind?

The quality you are seeking could range from truly awesome to truly awful, so kinda hard to point you to the right links.

Here's an image from one of the better HD cameras, the Panasonic HVX200, from one of the forums I frequent. The image is full frame 1920x1080. JPEG compression to 200KB doesn't do this pix justice.

This clip is downloadable at DVinfo.net, so they have several GB worth of video clips for download. You won't however, find many consumer-level camcorders featured. They are all universally bad, especially 1CDD handycam types.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Attachments

• hvx200.jpg
    hvx200.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 258

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Lacero said:
Any camera model you have in mind?

Not at the moment, I just wanted to see what sort of quality I can get from a DV camera. Thanks

Edit: In fact I'm looking for a camcorder that will be good out doors (where most of the filming will take place) maybe one that will allow me to connect up an external microphone, one thats quite light and compact because I will be traveling with it.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You can expect great quality from any of these camcorders:

Canon GL2, XL2, XL-H1
Sony TRV950, PDX10, VX2100, PD170, FX1, Z1
Panasonic DVX100b, HVX200, GS400

Basically any 3CCD camcorder released in the last 3 years or so will provide with very good quality, with the exception of Sony's new 1CCD HDR-HC1 / HVR-A1 HDV camcorders. I've seen this little baby playing on an SXRD monitor and it looks fabulous.

Go here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/index.php and get lost for an entire weekend. :p

Bolded as your best bets for compact, outdoor filming

Here's to the Crazy Ones

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Lacero said:
You can expect great quality from any of these camcorders:

Canon GL2, XL2, XL-H1
Sony TRV950, PDX10, VX2100, PD170, FX1, Z1
Panasonic DVX100b, HVX200, GS400

Basically any 3CCD camcorder released in the last 3 years or so will provide with very good quality, with the exception of Sony's new 1CCD HDR-HC1 / HVR-A1 HDV camcorders. I've seen this little baby playing on an SXRD monitor and it looks fabulous.

Go here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/index.php and get lost for an entire weekend. :p

Bolded as your best bets for compact, outdoor filming

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Wow! you really know your stuff, Thank you!

Applespider

macrumors G4
Lacero said:
You won't however, find many consumer-level camcorders featured. They are all universally bad, especially 1CDD handycam types.

Although it does depend what you're looking for and how much you want to spend on it. For my personal use, recording vacations and friends, I couldn't justify any more than around £500 so accepted the limitations accordingly. The quality is fine for family and friends to relive and share memories (especially since none of them, including myself; have any professional video knowledge to help us criticise it ;) )

skimaxpower

Jan 13, 2006
I find that decent lighting affects video quality much more than the super-fanciness of your camcorder.

If you're on a budget (who's not) consider spending that extra $500 on a basic light kit.

Bonus tip: DV makes outdoor light look really bright. Filming on a "partly cloudy" or "overcast" day gives much more natural looking outdoor light on the TV screen.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
skimaxpower said:
If you're on a budget (who's not) consider spending that extra $500 on a basic light kit.

He want's something small for easy travel and he's predominantly going to be shooting out doors. I don't think he needs/wants a light kit. ;)

Lethal

skimaxpower

Jan 13, 2006
cwedl said:
is there a website where I can download sample DV movies at full quality to see what sort of quality I could expect?

For the record, DV on a computer screen looks nothing like DV on a TV. DV is interlaced, so it usually looks like balls on a computer - especially on an LCD display.

Best bet is probably to go down to circuit city and convince them to let you hook up a DV camcorder to one of their televisions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.