Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whipmaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
Toronto
I have a 2010 Mac Pro 2010 5,1
For the last 2 months it has been experiencing random restarts, always late at night when no one's around and the only way for me to tell it has in fact restarted is that a 8TB drive that I use for Time Machine has not loaded
This drive has never loaded on a restart but always will on a shutdown and start. Not a big deal for me as I only use this mac for Aperture photo editing and storage the restarts did not inconvenience me enough to investigate.
Then comes the Christmas season and some free time.......

About 2 months ago I accidentally hit the eject button and the tray popped out I hit the eject again and it retracted but the door stayed open, I assumed that so many other mac pros it had simply stuck open and ignored/ forgot about it.

So to this week with free time to look into it, I check console and IOAHCIFamily.kext has a startling number of entries which I completely fail to understand. However I (surprisingly) correctly assume that it's something to do with input so I do a quick inventory of anything I may have changed to do with input and recall the dvd player and door issue, so I hit the eject button again and no tray!! OK I stick my fingers in the stuck open door and I feel around and the tray is open just a bit (5MM) so I jiggle it and the door and there's a click the door comes loose and the tray cycles out and back in and the door closes. And the Mac never reboots again and the console messages stop.
Moral of the story, a genetic DVD Burner that's stuck open can cause a perfectly fine mac pro to reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.