Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamera~

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Boston MA
Something bugs me a little every time I purchase a DVD...

My parents have a home theater projector setup, with a relatively low quality NEC LCD projector (VT460 I think). I've been more or less in charge of the research and purchasing decisions of the enterprise, but I'm no expert in this kind of stuff.

We've gone through about 4 or 5 DVD players before settling on the Harmon Kardon DVD 27, and this seemed to eliminate most of the interlacing/progessive scan quality problems that were evident with cheaper players.

Now it seems that the limiting factor of the video quality is the projector's low contrast ratio and brightness. I've played a few HD movie trailers from Apple's site by connecting my computer to the projector, and haven't noticed a great deal of improvement from DVD... although the projector can only achieve 1024x768, not the full 720p.

As I'm looking to purchase a projector myself sometime in the future, my question is whether I should wait for the embrace of next generation formats (Blu-Ray, ect) and save up for HDMI capable equipment, or if DVD really isn't that bad and there's no sense in spending all the extra money. In other words, is DVD a considerable limiting factor in a home theater?

Obviously, the dvds themselves range in quality, but let's assume I'm buying the best editions/print transfers available (criterion, ect.)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
gamera~ said:
Something bugs me a little every time I purchase a DVD...

My parents have a home theater projector setup, with a relatively low quality NEC LCD projector (VT460 I think). I've been more or less in charge of the research and purchasing decisions of the enterprise, but I'm no expert in this kind of stuff.

We've gone through about 4 or 5 DVD players before settling on the Harmon Kardon DVD 27, and this seemed to eliminate most of the interlacing/progessive scan quality problems that were evident with cheaper players.

Now it seems that the limiting factor of the video quality is the projector's low contrast ratio and brightness. I've played a few HD movie trailers from Apple's site by connecting my computer to the projector, and haven't noticed a great deal of improvement from DVD... although the projector can only achieve 1024x768, not the full 720p.

As I'm looking to purchase a projector myself sometime in the future, my question is whether I should wait for the embrace of next generation formats (Blu-Ray, ect) and save up for HDMI capable equipment, or if DVD really isn't that bad and there's no sense in spending all the extra money. In other words, is DVD a considerable limiting factor in a home theater?

Obviously, the dvds themselves range in quality, but let's assume I'm buying the best editions/print transfers available (criterion, ect.)
Pretty much the only thing below DVD quality is VHS quality. So, most definitely DVD is a limiting factor. The projector is a limiting factor too which is why you don't see much of a difference when you tested HD on your parents projector.

IMO I would delay the purchase of any HD stuff for as long as possible. It's only going to get cheaper and better as time goes on and currently there aren't that many HD options (in terms of what to what on your HD set).

Lethal

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
I have a samsung dlp and a dvd player that upconverts dvd's from 480p to 720p / or 1080i (which ever i choose)... i have this hooked up through DVI and let me tell you... MY DVD's LOOK AMAZING;)

Not tru HD ... but pretty darn close...

LethalWolfe said:
IMO I would delay the purchase of any HD stuff for as long as possible. It's only going to get cheaper and better as time goes on and currently there aren't that many HD options (in terms of what to what on your HD set).
Lethal

i have over 15 HD channels with my cable provider ;)

gamera~

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Boston MA
Electro Funk,

does upscaling to 720p or 1080i really improve the quality? Isn't it just blowing up a low resolution picture over more pixels?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.