Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsrisupawat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Hi everyone,
On Toast Titanium 7, I have a problem with burning DVD-R dual layer (Verbatim 2x to 4x.) on my Mac G5 2 Ghz dual core with 2.5 gig of ram.
The problem will occur whenever I try to burn any thing that is about 3.5 gig or larger. Even though I select the disc option to DL or the format option to be either Mac only or Mac and PC. I always get this message…
the drive reported an error
Sense Key = Illegal Request
Sense Code = 0x30, 0x50
Cannot write medium-Incompatible Format
Any ideas...Please tell
Thanks a lot
Buddha, Bangkok, Thailand
:)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Your drive probably can't write to DVD-R DL. Check in System Profiler under Disc Burning. Please note that DVD-R and DVD+R are different things.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
If he has a Core Duo then yes, his iMac supports DL DVD writing. As for the problem, I'm not sure. I had some similar problems in the past with Toast and a different burner, I don't remember finding a cure though.

First I would make sure you have all the version 7 updates Roxio posts from time to time. Also, what exactly are you burning, you might be able to substitute Disk Copy for the time being.

jon

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
I'm 95% sure that there is no such thing as DVD-R DL just yet. You mean DVD+R DL. You probably have a DVD+R DL disc and drive.

Not that this was actually helpful, but just FYI

reality

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
iJon said:
If he has a Core Duo then yes, his iMac supports DL DVD writing. As for the problem, I'm not sure. I had some similar problems in the past with Toast and a different burner, I don't remember finding a cure though.

First I would make sure you have all the version 7 updates Roxio posts from time to time. Also, what exactly are you burning, you might be able to substitute Disk Copy for the time being.

jon
But with the core duo, the max RAM is 2.0gb, 2.5 being the old Max with the G5.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
jimsowden said:
But with the core duo, the max RAM is 2.0gb, 2.5 being the old Max with the G5.
My bad, I didn't loost close enough. I didn't see the G5 snuck in there.

jon

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Uh, it's a tower maybe?
On Toast Titanium 7, I have a problem with burning DVD-R dual layer (Verbatim 2x to 4x.) on my Mac G5 2 Ghz dual core with 2.5 gig of ram.
He didn't say iMac, just "Mac G5 2 GHz dual core". The iMac was never dual-core with the G5, only now with Intel.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
jimsowden said:
No, he does say Intel. Something he said isn't true.

Where does he say Intel? I read from his post that he has a PowerMac Dual 2GHz. His mistake was to mention core, rather than cpu.

AFAIR, the 2GHz came out just before DL burners, so it may be that bsrisupawat's burner is old school and won't burn DL without at least a firmware update, if such exists.

bsrisupawat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Toast Problem 7 with DVD-R DL

Let me clarify my problem again…
On Toast Titanium 7, I have a problem with burning DVD-R (not + R) dual layer (Verbatim 2x to 4x.) on my Power Mac G5 (tower, not iMac) 2 Ghz dual core with 2.5 gig of ram.
The problem will occur whenever I try to burn any thing that is about 3.5 gig or larger. Even though I select the disc option to DL or the format option to be either Mac only or Mac and PC. I always get this message…
Sense Code = 0x30, 0x50
Based on the specification of Mac internal DVD Drive, It supports DVD-R.
I even tried to burn it at 1x speed, but I got the same result.
Any ideas...Please tell
Thanks a lot

bsrisupawat said:
Hi everyone,
Sense Code = 0x30, 0x50
Any ideas...Please tell
Thanks a lot

bsrisupawat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Thanks for everyone's kindness. I finally got my problem sloved thanks to Mr. Solvs.
Buddha

bsrisupawat said:
Hi everyone,
Sense Code = 0x30, 0x50
Any ideas...Please tell
Thanks a lot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.