Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Abandonment?

I spoke with an A/V engineer at work this morning and he said that the industry is abandoning the minus format in favor of the plus. He said that as a result, we'll NEVER see minus go faster than 4X.

You should ask your friend when the the +RW forum joined the DVD standards body?

I doubt that your friend will be right so long as the plus group refuses to join the 'real' DVD consortium.

Max

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Re: Support for DVD-RW

Originally posted by Ptpiz
So, will panther support DVD-RW so that i can finally fix my mistakes without wasting precious DVDs??
Well, I have been using CompUSA branded DVDs and have been having perfect results and they are CHEAP!

25DVDs = $24.99
50DVDs = $44.99

I've had the DVD burner for almost 2 years, but have rarely used it because I was afraid to use anything other than Apple DVD media, but as it has been so dang expensive, just didn't utitlize the DVD burner much at all... Now, I am burning DVDs like crazy.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
BTW - dun no if its been mentioned but there is a notable development in the +RW camp:

+R/RW 9 - dual layer burning. This is a very bl00dy good reason to support the +R/RW standard.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
OK I now have my +R/RW drive and I burned a back DVD on a +R disc and my new Powerbook 12" running 10.2.8 mounted and read it just fine. I was even able to play a quicktime trailer from the +r disc. I also tested the same disc in an 867 15" TiBook and it also worked fine. So this leads me to believe that perhaps Panther will integrate +R/W WRITING into the OS. Just a thought.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So the Matsu****a UJ-816 does support DVD+R discs in the new Powerbooks? I assume you are using Toast to burn the discs?

Guess I'll have to give it a try...

Cheers.

Originally posted by Abraxsis
OK I now have my +R/RW drive and I burned a back DVD on a +R disc and my new Powerbook 12" running 10.2.8 mounted and read it just fine. I was even able to play a quicktime trailer from the +r disc. I also tested the same disc in an 867 15" TiBook and it also worked fine. So this leads me to believe that perhaps Panther will integrate +R/W WRITING into the OS. Just a thought.

docpsycho

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2003
California
the + support

but as the latest trend will show it will be for apple firmawre supported devices. the aftermarket get the short end of the stick again. sorry suckers....(all the i book and non superdrive equipped units out there)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.