Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadRambo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Just curious to see if anyone has experimented with DVD ripping software, to the point of comparing overall ripping times with other machines? Any differences noted? I have not yet set up any conversion software but will soon and report back. Most of my activity is making MP4 format movies for my IPod from my movie DVD collection.

Any comments, results, info??? Thanks --- ;)

vwguy60

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2006
Southern California
I have a MBP 1.83 Ghz w/ 2 gig ram and tried ripping a dvd with Mac the Ripper in OSX, I cannot give you an exact time, but it took significantly longer than DVD Decrypter on the same MBP under Windows and Boot Camp. The times I remembered was over 40 mins for Mac the Ripper and around 15 mins with DVD Decrypter. Encoding was around the same time but I was shinking to fit on a 4.7 gb dvd-r. Both were ripped and encoded on the MBP's hard drive. For encoding, DVD2ONE was used in OSX and Clone DVD2 was used in Windows. Toast Titanium was used to burn in OSX and Nero in Windows.

Because of this, the windows side is set more for ripping, burning and CAD work while OSX is used for everything else. I love having the best of both worlds!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.