Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nordesmic

macrumors member
May 2, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
It is not possible to watch a DVD in HD without an upscaling dvd player. DVD native resolution is 480(i or p), which is only standard definition. I'm not sure how effective an upscaling dvd player is, my guess is that the quality would still be a long way short of good broadcast high definition.

Here is a very good australian forum with loads of info. about everything related to HD, dvd players etc.

http://www.dtvforum.info/

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
nordesmic said:
It is not possible to watch a DVD in HD without an upscaling dvd player. DVD native resolution is 480(i or p), which is only standard definition. I'm not sure how effective an upscaling dvd player is, my guess is that the quality would still be a long way short of good broadcast high definition.

Here is a very good australian forum with loads of info. about everything related to HD, dvd players etc.

http://www.dtvforum.info/

Thanks, but it didnt really answer my question. :eek:

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
rye9 said:
If you have an HDTV with an upconverting DVD player, can you watch any DVD in HD?

Watching a DVD in HD and watching a DVD on an HDTV are two very different things. An upscaler will not add anymore image detail to the 720*480 image on DVDs it will just basically duplicate the data so that if fills out a 1280*720 or 1920*1080 image. Don't expect your upscaled DVD version of "Batman Returns" to look anywhere near as nice as the HD version once the next gen DVDs start shipping.

Lethal

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
If you have a HD-ready or HDTV, you can watch DVDs in a maximum quality of 576p (so 576 horizontal lines). This is pretty good quality especially on smaller screens. There are a few conditions your hardware must meet to display this kind of quality though.
Like I said you need to have an HD television or monitor. Via the regular analog interconnects (s-video, rca and scart) you'll get a max resolution of 576i (interlaced). Of these interconnects S-video will deliver the best quality and rca (the single yellow colored connector) the worst. To display 576p (progressive) you need either an HDMI or RGB component interconnect and a dvd player capable of progressive scan output. Then you'll be getting the maximum out of your dvds.
As has already been stated the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies that'll be coming out in the next few months will be considerably better, but this is a good start!.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
mfacey said:
If you have a HD-ready or HDTV, you can watch DVDs in a maximum quality of 576p (so 576 horizontal lines). This is pretty good quality especially on smaller screens. There are a few conditions your hardware must meet to display this kind of quality though.
Like I said you need to have an HD television or monitor. Via the regular analog interconnects (s-video, rca and scart) you'll get a max resolution of 576i (interlaced). Of these interconnects S-video will deliver the best quality and rca (the single yellow colored connector) the worst. To display 576p (progressive) you need either an HDMI or RGB component interconnect and a dvd player capable of progressive scan output. Then you'll be getting the maximum out of your dvds.
As has already been stated the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies that'll be coming out in the next few months will be considerably better, but this is a good start!.

Then howcome upconverting DVD players state 1080i and 720p resolutions?
when do these next gen DVD's come out?

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
rye9 said:
Then howcome upconverting DVD players state 1080i and 720p resolutions?
when do these next gen DVD's come out?

Clever marketing... The players output is 1080i but the input (DVD) isn't! You can not create resolution, you can mess round with the lines & blur them a bit , i understand they do this quite well, but the resolution wasn't there in the first place.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Dvd

Hey!

This is a bit off topic but I can't find anywhere in MR about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. I must be crazy but I know Apple chose Blu-Ray as their next DVD format while MS chose HD-DVD for Windows Vista. If anyone able to let Vista run on Intel Mac, I was WONDERING if we'll be able to read both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray? That would be freakin' AWESOME!!!!!

You will probaby save thousand and thousand of dollars for this! Let's hope so!

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
supremedesigner said:
Hey!

This is a bit off topic but I can't find anywhere in MR about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. I must be crazy but I know Apple chose Blu-Ray as their next DVD format while MS chose HD-DVD for Windows Vista. If anyone able to let Vista run on Intel Mac, I was WONDERING if we'll be able to read both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray? That would be freakin' AWESOME!!!!!

You will probaby save thousand and thousand of dollars for this! Let's hope so!

Blu-Ray or HD DVD support is related to the hardware in the actual drive reading the disc. So the fact that we can now run Windows on the Intel based macs is irrelevant. Unless Apple gives us drives that can read(/write) both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD you're out of luck.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I have a Samsung upconvert DVD player attached to my 65 inch Mitsubishi HD TV via DVI cable. The difference between the upconvert and the normal dvd player is HUGE.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
kvanwagoner said:
I have a Samsung upconvert DVD player attached to my 65 inch Mitsubishi HD TV via DVI cable. The difference between the upconvert and the normal dvd player is HUGE.

How did you connect the regular player though? And was it capable of progressive scan?

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I am using the RGB Component Cables and yes it is capable of progressive scan.

The picture quality is so good you can see film grain in older movies

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.