Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Simple question: Which company makes a reliable and high quality DVI cable (doesn't have to be very long)?

As I began setting up my room for my soon-to-arrive iMac, I decided to assemble my Samsung display that I bought back in November. To my horror, I could only find a VGA cable and no DVI cable!

I remember reading some things about how some cables are better than others and how the cable packaged in the box is the most reliable, except I didn't get a DVI cable with that LCD.

Any suggestions?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
applekid said:
Simple question: Which company makes a reliable and high quality DVI cable (doesn't have to be very long)?

As I began setting up my room for my soon-to-arrive iMac, I decided to assemble my Samsung display that I bought back in November. To my horror, I could only find a VGA cable and no DVI cable!

I remember reading some things about how some cables are better than others and how the cable packaged in the box is the most reliable, except I didn't get a DVI cable with that LCD.

Any suggestions?

You might want to search for a thread on a Westinghouse LCM-17w7 as someone gave me suggestions on DVI cables.

[EDIT]this thread[/EDIT]

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
That got me not hits. I found this thread and a thread about someone getting a Dell 24" flat screen.

Still searching, although Newegg has a few ridiculously cheap cables that people are giving good reviews for...

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
I'm about to put in my order for a Link Depot cable on Newegg. Cheap, but everybody has given it five eggs.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I bought a cheapish 2m DVI cable from a high street shop (Maplins in the UK) and it works like a charm. As long as its a thick cable you should be absolutely fine. The problems with DVI only seem to crop up if you're using a longer cable. Since DVI is digital the signal can deteriorate a good bit and still be picked up fine. Then suddenly its deteriorated too much and it doesn't work. Since VGA is analogue the signal gets worse and worse from the beginning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.