Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Hi, I have just installed a 9800 Pro into my PowerMac G4 and was wondering what is the best way to connect to my dell monitor. At the moment I have the DVI from the PowerMac going into the VGA convertor that comes with the machine and into the Dell VGA socket. I could also connect the DVI from the PowerMac to the DVI of the Dell, or connect the VGA from the mac to the VGA of the Dell. I would play around with it myself but I have a broken leg at the moment so crawling around under my desk isnt really possible at the moment! I am guessing that they all give the same picture quality but I may be wrong, thanks.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Thanks, I will get my girlfriend to change them over when she gets back from work. :D

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Agreed on going to DVI. DVI (stands for Digital Video Interface) keeps the signal all-digital from the computer to the screen. While a lot of people don't notice the difference, especially on LCD's, I personally notice that using DVI makes the picture noticeably sharper.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
use the dvi if you have it.

this is one of those subjects... like asking about audio quality. all the 'audiophiles' are going to jump out and demand that you change the cable right now... i use both all day long, and really have a hard time telling the difference. :eek: i am not sure that it's worth paying extra for, but since you already have it, why not?!

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
I absolutely can notice the difference between DVI and VGA. Everything has so much more *clarity* with DVI. It was so important to me that I upgraded my mom's and grandmom's computers to video cards with DVI and LCD's with DVI :)

fortetfn

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
ACD to VGA port

I'd like to connect my ACD to my old pc, but it has VGA port on it. If I get a converter to do that, would it work? Does anyone know which converter I should use? Thanks a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.