Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dustboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I'm trying to connect my old G4 to a TV. I know you guys are waaaay over it, but I've done a lot of searching with no answers.

I bought Apple's DVI to Video adapter (composite RCA, S-video), but it won't make anything but a scrambled picture. Yes, I know, Apple does say this adapter needs a G5, but to me that sounds like a challenge. I mean, DVI is DVI, right?

I was really hoping this HTPC thing would work simply by buying a $20 adapter. If that won't work, what will? My budget disallows a new display, although that would be ideal.

The specs: G4 867 dual processor (mirror drive doors), NVidia geforce 4 Ti card (DVI and ADC outs), OS 10.4.latest

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
Are you sure it's not a software setting? Like selecting "TV" in "displays" and choosing the correct resolution?

dustboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Hmm, that would be convenient wouldn't it. I'll have to hook up a monitor to try that.

Joony

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2005
I'm pretty sure those adapters are only for the video cards in the G5s, probably some unused pins in the DVI connector that can be used for composite and s-video...

You'll have to get another video card that has a dedicated s-vid out or get a scan converter (VGA to s-vid/composite)

dustboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I tweaked the display prefs and got it to display a dim, monochrome, scrolling version of what I should be seeing. I fear Joony is probably right, but I've gotten this much and I'm not ready to give up just yet. Any more ideas?

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
Well, probably a long shot, but remember once connecting my girlfriends Dell to our tv, and the picture came out black and white only. We then found out we could buy a small cable (called a "composite colour-fix", i think) that plugged into the S-video cable. All of a sudden there was colours on the TV! It costs like 5-10 bucks. Don't know if it'll help in your case though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.