Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I thought AMD cards don't do very well with ray tracing on... at least most of the vids I've seen. Besides TLOU, I'm not into these types of games, but this one is interesting to me... from the game play through vids I've seen. I think my rig should handle this game pretty well. ;)

Reactions: Irishman

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I thought AMD cards don't do very well with ray tracing on... at least most of the vids I've seen. Besides TLOU, I'm not into these types of games, but this one is interesting to me... from the game play through vids I've seen. I think my rig should handle this game pretty well. ;)

Well, AMD GPUs do well on consoles, at least.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Depending on the implementation of RT AMD can perform wildly different. Truth be told even for this game a 3090 needs DLSS to produce playable frame rates at higher resolutions.

Reactions: erayser

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Depending on the implementation of RT AMD can perform wildly different. Truth be told even for this game a 3090 needs DLSS to produce playable frame rates at higher resolutions.
DLSS works well on on RTX 30 series cards... but honestly... I don't really notice RT while planning again. Just as long as runs at 60 fps and above... I'll be fine with RT on... but I don't mind turning RT off to enjoy a game.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
DLSS works well on on RTX 30 series cards... but honestly... I don't really notice RT while planning again. Just as long as runs at 60 fps and above... I'll be fine with RT on... but I don't mind turning RT off to enjoy a game.
I guess the question for you is, can you unsee RT in order to get the frame rate up?

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I guess the question for you is, can you unsee RT in order to get the frame rate up?
I think I can... I don't normal stop and look at shading and reflections when I'm playing a game. I think it's cool when I do notice... but it's not likely that I'll sit in one place and look at details.

[MEDIA]

Could you?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I think I can... I don't normal stop and look at shading and reflections when I'm playing a game. I think it's cool when I do notice... but it's not likely that I'll sit in one place and look at details.

[MEDIA]

Could you?
I'd like to believe that once I play a game with adequate RT I wouldn't want to go back to playing without it. Metro Exodus EE and Control are the only two games I have played thus far where I suffered poor frame rates for pretty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.