Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
I was thinking it would be cool if there would be dynamic desktops that adapted to the weather in your location. Perhaps it would be cool to have one that implements the phase of the moon. Maybe have some dynamic desktops that aren't based on location but maybe something like currently playing music. I don't know. The whole dynamic desktop thing is really cool, though. I'm sure there's a bunch of cool stuff you could do with it. Any cool ideas?

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
Works fine in the iPhone weather app? lol

Im thinking an image like the mojave desert with a dynamically switching weather pattern meaning that all kinds of animated weather desktops have to be able to transition into each other seamlessly

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
Nice! I also found one for Earth a while ago: https://itnext.io/macos-mojave-dynamic-wallpapers-ii-f8b1e55c82f

When Mojave releases, we definitely should make a Wiki post or something for third-party dynamic wallpapers. It's a bit of a shame that Apple only offers us two at the moment, but I'd love to see what people will come up with. There are a lot of 24h time-lapse videos of famous locations, buildings and landscapes on the web that should serve as a good foundation for creating these.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
Nice! I also found one for Earth a while ago: https://itnext.io/macos-mojave-dynamic-wallpapers-ii-f8b1e55c82f

When Mojave releases, we definitely should make a Wiki post or something for third-party dynamic wallpapers. It's a bit of a shame that Apple only offers us two at the moment, but I'd love to see what people will come up with. There are a lot of 24h time-lapse videos of famous locations, buildings and landscapes on the web that should serve as a good foundation for creating these.

Yeah, it would be great if apple were to release some kind of droplet for combining 16 pngs into one heif file with the requisite xml metadata for dynamic desktop images because the current method of creating dynamic desktops is arduous

Last edited:
Reactions: TimothyR734

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
I was thinking it would be cool if there would be dynamic desktops that adapted to the weather in your location. Perhaps it would be cool to have one that implements the phase of the moon. Maybe have some dynamic desktops that aren't based on location but maybe something like currently playing music. I don't know. The whole dynamic desktop thing is really cool, though. I'm sure there's a bunch of cool stuff you could do with it. Any cool ideas?

A dynamic desktop shows how hot mojave desert is based on your CPU tempreture.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I was thinking it would be cool if there would be dynamic desktops that adapted to the weather in your location. ....
I live in Phoenix, Arizona. So that desktop would be the same nearly all year.... A bright, hot sunny day. It rarely rains, it never snows, there is no spring and fall only lasts about 2 days.

Reactions: Internet Enzyme

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
The data passed to the dynamic wallpaper is pretty limited. Can't see how you could pass weather data to it unfortunately

joshjet

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2015
Indie Dev
The data passed to the dynamic wallpaper is pretty limited. Can't see how you could pass weather data to it unfortunately

It is possible to write a 3rd party app that monitors the weather and then sets Dynamic Desktops using the set wallpaper API. We tried building weather variation into our app 24 Hour Wallpaper, but the real problem is content. Photographing 24 hours of "rain" isn't particularly practical. So you'd need to design the wallpapers for the different states rather than use photography.

-josh

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
It is possible to write a 3rd party app that monitors the weather and then sets Dynamic Desktops using the set wallpaper API. We tried building weather variation into our app 24 Hour Wallpaper, but the real problem is content. Photographing 24 hours of "rain" isn't particularly practical. So you'd need to design the wallpapers for the different states rather than use photography.

-josh
Yea I meant just a standalone dynamic wallpaper using the built in functionality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.