Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dynamic Island is useful and a good addition to iPhone functionality?

• Yes, I’m using it daily and like it!

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Yes, but I’m not using it that much yet.

Votes: 32 34.8%
  • Don’t know, I don’t really notice it.

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • No, not impressed yet!

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Nope, it’s annoying actually and I want it gone!

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
Would really like to see a proper poll on the Dynamic Island, and all your thoughts about it!!?

Personally, I’m slowly enjoying it more and more through the native functionalities and apps like Sports Alerts. The live action dimension of this is nice, as your are doing different things on your phone and still having check on a live activity of your choice right there on the top, is clearly something we need on a smartphone, no? It’s growing in me for sure, but think it’s not up to it’s proper potential yet

What’s your take??

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
I’ve loved it from the very beginning, actually one of the things that drew me to the 14 Pro Max. It still has a way to go to maximizing its potential, but I find it very useful. Would miss not having it.

Last edited:

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
Not so much interest or votes when it comes to the dynamic island so far. 33 voters, and 11 (33%) vote they are using it every day.

Quick conclusion is that many don’t really care so much for this new multitasking function, and I think Apple and developers should take the blame for it. By this point they could have made it brilliant.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna

Yes, but I’m not using it that much yet.​

I believe there’s a lot more potential hidden in DI that is yet to be discovered by Apple. And I’m pretty sure in future iOS updates we will see what DI really has to offer.

Reactions: Carlsberg69

Daino92

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2019
Montana
I enjoy it when listening to music and following my fav MLB team. I wish there were more features, if apple does something more with it this year with iOS 17 ill be happy. If not then i'll keep enjoying it but I could probably live without it.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Dynamic Island is a cool feature, but it's not a revolutionary breakthrough. Not a "killer feature" everyone simply must have. Perhaps it will mature and become more and more useful over time, but for now it's just a nifty little addition. I like it but I don't rely on it, and I'd be fine without it.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I find it can be useful, certainly prefer it to the notch but it needs apps to utilise it more outside of apples stock apps. I would have liked to see it turn into a full width notification pop up personally.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I suppose Apple need to make more use of it otherwise it’ll turn into another 3DTouch situation where it’s a great feature but under used and users aren’t bothered.

I was sceptical when I first saw it as it looks like a more intrusive notch but with a bit of clever animation trickery to make the user forget it’s housing the FaceID camera. I don’t have it on my iPhone yet but can’t say I’m excited by it and it certainly wouldn’t be a feature I’d buy a phone to get personally.

Reactions: 3Rock

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I find it useful for scrubbing music tracks. I'm the type of listener that likes to hear certain parts of a song several times. It's super easy to scrub within a track using the Dynamic Island, actually easier than the music app itself (depending on app).

Ky Van

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
Paris, France
I do use Dynamic Island, especially for commuting, where Citymapper is shining. I can basically do other things like replying to emails, and still be able to follow up on the trip to avoid missing my stop.

With Flighty, it’s still nice to have, good to quickly glance at your boarding gate and luggage carrousel, but this one is doing mostly it’s job as a Live Activity card.

My biggest gripe is still having two apps running at the same time on the Island, like Citymapper + Music, making both of them useless with no added value info on display, since I listen to podcasts or music when commuting.

All I need for this is more flexibility, being able to properly switch off Music when I need to (a Shortcut workflow would be great if actions become supported).

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I'd rather have 3D touch back.

DI is nice and found it useful a couple times but daily, no. Doesn't really offering anything more than I had before IMO

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
I like it, but it's not fully integrated with a whole bunch of apps (that I use at least) yet. So I hope it gets a better integration in the future, I'm still waiting for sports updates etc

But it's only year1....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.