Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
I've been using one of the time/location-based dynamic wallpapers (not the new video ones, but the "old" ones that update based on time and latitude/longitude). On Ventura the transitions were buttery smooth. I've upgraded to Sonoma and the transitions are now sharp and jarring. Has anyone else noticed this? I've sent a bug report to Apple, but I'm curious if this is a reproducible issue for anyone else.

ganglem

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2023
Hi, yes I'm experiencing the same issue. Just got a brand new MBA M2, updated to Sonoma and now the dynamic wallpaper just changes, no smooth transitions. Also observed that the menu bar is white with dark text on every display size setting but the default one.

ganglem

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2023
I've been using one of the time/location-based dynamic wallpapers (not the new video ones, but the "old" ones that update based on time and latitude/longitude). On Ventura the transitions were buttery smooth. I've upgraded to Sonoma and the transitions are now sharp and jarring. Has anyone else noticed this? I've sent a bug report to Apple, but I'm curious if this is a reproducible issue for anyone else.
Have you found a fix yet?

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Not yet, sadly the issue is still present on Sonoma 14.1.1. I've taken to simply using a static wallpaper again because the transitions are too jarring. I'll file another bug report, but I don't have high hopes that Apple will look into this (which sucks). I note that the wallpaper transitions work as intended if switching from light mode to dark mode. It's almost as if there's just a millisecond integer value that's missing a zero somewhere in the code (but that's purely conjecture on my part). It would be an easy fix if Apple cared.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Yes still jarring. Just set up a new iMac M3 and no Time Machine migration from older iMac. Clean setup. The transition is jarring also. No smooth transition. Sonoma 14.2.1

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
I've transitioned (no pun intended) over to using static wallpapers for the time being, so I'm not keeping active track of whether this is fixed or not. Sad to hear (but not surprised) this has fallen under Apple's radar.

You'd think a multi-trillion dollar company could afford to get the little things right. Shameful.

Reactions: kagharaht

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I've transitioned (no pun intended) over to using static wallpapers for the time being, so I'm not keeping active track of whether this is fixed or not. Sad to hear (but not surprised) this has fallen under Apple's radar.

You'd think a multi-trillion dollar company could afford to get the little things right. Shameful.
It is a shame that they didn't catch this as a bug. I did provide feedback at Apple page. Will not call support on this. I'm very familiar with the standard troubleshooting steps. Also because this is a brand new iMac with no Migration from Time Machine. Knowing their script, it won't matter and they will make me go through the hoops when I just want to report the bug. lol

Reactions: trusso
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.