Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Hi,

I remember that Dynamic wallpapers in older versions of MacOS could be found in:
Macintosh HD > library > Desktop Pictures

This folder no longer exists in Sonoma.

I looked for info about Dynamic Wallpapers for Sonoma and only could find the location of the new Aerials.

Does anyone knows the location for Dynamic Wallpapers in Sonoma?

Thanks

Mr.Fox

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2020
Hi,

I remember that Dynamic wallpapers in older versions of MacOS could be found in:
Macintosh HD > library > Desktop Pictures

This folder no longer exists in Sonoma.

I looked for info about Dynamic Wallpapers for Sonoma and only could find the location of the new Aerials.

Does anyone knows the location for Dynamic Wallpapers in Sonoma?

Thanks
They will be located in one of the subfolders, the names of which depend on the quality.
I deleted them all because they were pure slag.

Reactions: charlesdayton

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
so, it seems to be in /Library/Application Support/com.apple.idleassetsd/Customer/4KSDR240FPS
Thanks. I looked into that folder and all the others inside Customer, but these are the Aerial videos and not the Dynamic ones.

Reactions: Lab34

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
They will be located in one of the subfolders, the names of which depend on the quality.
I deleted them all because they were pure slag.
Thanks. I went to Mac HD/Library per the instructions on Dynamic Wallpaper Club, but there is no folder called Desktop Pictures in Sonoma. There used to be one in Monterrey.

Yeah the stock ones aren't good but I used to use ones downloaded online.

Mr.Fox

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2020
Thanks. I went to Mac HD/Library per the instructions on Dynamic Wallpaper Club, but there is no folder called Desktop Pictures in Sonoma. There used to be one in Monterrey.

Yeah the stock ones aren't good but I used to use ones downloaded online.
Themes are assigned derivative names - you can get confused there . I can't remember the command to access them, so I'd give you a hint. They take up a huge amount of space - about several GB.
They load the system a lot. Plus, if you do the installation yourself, sometimes there are glitches in the form of a gray screen.

Reactions: charlesdayton

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Themes are assigned derivative names - you can get confused there . I can't remember the command to access them, so I'd give you a hint. They take up a huge amount of space - about several GB.
They load the system a lot. Plus, if you do the installation yourself, sometimes there are glitches in the form of a gray screen.
Thanks. But I am talking about the dynamic wallpapers (HEIC). Those are about 50MB each. Not like the 1+GB Aerial videos.

jallengow

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2024
Sorry, I know 3 month old question and you probably already found them but I was looking for them too and it seems like there was confusion about Live vs Dynamic wallpapers. So, for future reference.

The base Sonoma Dynamic Wallpaper heic is still at /System/Library/Desktop Pictures/Sonoma.heic

If you download the newer dynamic wallpapers they'll be at /Users/[userAccountUsedtoDownload]/Library/Application Support/com.apple.mobileAssetDesktop/

You'll need to unhide files/folders.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Thank you very much!

I had forgotten about this.

Sorry, I know 3 month old question and you probably already found them but I was looking for them too and it seems like there was confusion about Live vs Dynamic wallpapers. So, for future reference.

The base Sonoma Dynamic Wallpaper heic is still at /System/Library/Desktop Pictures/Sonoma.heic

If you download the newer dynamic wallpapers they'll be at /Users/[userAccountUsedtoDownload]/Library/Application Support/com.apple.mobileAssetDesktop/

You'll need to unhide files/folders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.