Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2021
Hello,

I am on the market for an E-Ink reader, having had previous previous experiences with the reMarkable tablet gen.1 and an ancient Sony PRS-T1 the following features are essential to me:

- 8-10''+ Screen
- Generous internal Storage (32Gb+), with SD detachable storage being a very nice addition.

I am less interested by:

- Stylus/ Annotation capabilities.

The following are a no-go:

- "Mandatory" Subscriptions.
- Locked down ecosystem.

The following initially peaked my interest [https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DPT-S1-Digital-Paper-System/dp/B00O7H0GNI] but seeing as it has been discontinued and is only available on the second hand market at steep markups, I would prefer other options.

The budget is carte blanche, although I would prefer not paying for extra features not relevant to my use-case.

Thank you in advance for your feedback !
Jah.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
I guess one of the key questions is what do you want to use the device for? What sort of content and where do you currently get that content from?

The key features of both the devices you mentioned is the stylus, which you said you’re less interested by.

If you could share a little more about your planned workflow that would help with any recommendations.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2021
Thank you for the feedback, that seems to be quite a gross oversight on my part indeed.

I only intend to use the device to read pdfs, the few items I own in other publication formats are quite disposable.

My notes tend to be written in markdown/LaTeX on my laptop for what would be further consumption and "drilling" using the reader (exported in pdf).

For such a simple workflow, I would quite enjoy not having to fuss with inconvenient software. Plug and play is the word.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.