Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
I am totally clueless about e-sim and not sure how exactly it works.

I am from UK and going to USA (Disney) in spring. I have iPhone 12 mini so it got e-sim. Before I rely on wifi only at hotels and I switch on airplane mode and data roaming off make sure I don't get charged and I do that in UK on plane before liftoff.

Obviously airplane mode must be on for data only e-sim to work but I am nervous worry I end up getting charged by home UK network (carrier) over this. How do I make sure data roaming is off primary line and data is on e-sim line only?

I want able use data and iMessage (linked to email address). It might be very obvious but I am total newbie at this and want make sure doing it all correctly.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I am totally clueless about e-sim and not sure how exactly it works.

I am from UK and going to USA (Disney) in spring. I have iPhone 12 mini so it got e-sim. Before I rely on wifi only at hotels and I switch on airplane mode and data roaming off make sure I don't get charged and I do that in UK on plane before liftoff.

Obviously airplane mode must be on for data only e-sim to work but I am nervous worry I end up getting charged by home UK network (carrier) over this. How do I make sure data roaming is off primary line and data is on e-sim line only?

I want able use data and iMessage (linked to email address). It might be very obvious but I am total newbie at this and want make sure doing it all correctly.

Recently traveled to Italy - it's much easier than you think! Get Airalo app from the app store. They have all the instructions on there.

Also read this - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044 A WIKI post here too - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/esim-dual-sim-q-a.2150226/ - but will probably confuse you even more lol

You're basically turning off data/voice for your main line and using data from your secondary (travel line). Most esim's for travel are data only (at least that's how it was for Italy).

You cannot receive/send iMessage using your phone number but can using your email. You cannot make/receive calls using your phone number either when off.

Nimbkoll

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
Have you considered simply using international roaming with your home carrier? When I was traveling to the US for a couple months, my carrier offered me a prepaid plan, I got 20 gigabytes of data each month, for ~35US$ / month.

Im not from the UK though, so not sure what kind of plans your carrier provide, it might be worth looking into instead of doing this dual sim shenanigan.

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
I went to Barbados recently and used Airalo for a data eSIM, turned off roaming on my EE line and used the eSIM for data just fine.

You're basically turning off data/voice for your main line and using data from your secondary (travel line). Most esim's for travel are data only (at least that's how it was for Italy).

You cannot receive/send iMessage using your phone number but can using your email. You cannot make/receive calls using your phone number either when off.

No, all you need to do is turn off roaming and select the eSIM to use for mobile data. iMessage and calls will continue to work as normal.

Reactions: jr5x and Jay-Jacob

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
How do I make sure data roaming is off primary line and data is on e-sim line only?

BB8869BF-8168-471B-A543-D0FC9CAB5BF9.jpeg

Under Primary SIM, just turn off Data Roaming before you leave the UK. The only real issue I had was getting the eSIM setup, the instructions were a little complex so take screenshots so you can refer back to them.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
View attachment 2156698

Under Primary SIM, just turn off Data Roaming before you leave the UK. The only real issue I had was getting the eSIM setup, the instructions were a little complex so take screenshots so you can refer back to them.
How does turning off data roaming affect sending MMS messages back to home country ? I found that has to be turned on, for the select few folks I was sending photos to via old skool text mms.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Recently traveled to Italy - it's much easier than you think! Get Airalo app from the app store. They have all the instructions on there.

Also read this - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044 A WIKI post here too - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/esim-dual-sim-q-a.2150226/ - but will probably confuse you even more lol

Thanks! That very helpful. I plan use data only e-sim and I did look at Airalo from google search. Good to know it is easier than I expected.

Have you considered simply using international roaming with your home carrier? When I was traveling to the US for a couple months, my carrier offered me a prepaid plan, I got 20 gigabytes of data each month, for ~35US$ / month.

Im not from the UK though, so not sure what kind of plans your carrier provide, it might be worth looking into instead of doing this dual sim shenanigan.
UK most network did used have roam like home feature when we was in EU and some of network even include USA but since leaving EU most network now remove that feature unfortunately and it expensive to pay roam in USA. Using data e-sim like Airalo is cheaper.

I went to Barbados recently and used Airalo for a data eSIM, turned off roaming on my EE line and used the eSIM for data just fine.

No, all you need to do is turn off roaming and select the eSIM to use for mobile data. iMessage and calls will continue to work as normal.
Thanks for that info.
Thanks for advice, will take screenshots for instruction.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

It does not. We tried and if you use your phone number as default, iMessage will not work correctly with data only. It has to be an email using iMessage.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
It does not. We tried and if you use your phone number as default, iMessage will not work correctly with data only. It has to be an email using iMessage.
I see, my iMessage default to my email address so shouldn't be problem for me. There was issue long time ago that iMessage default to my number wasn't syncing correctly to my iPad and Mac so since switch email it solve that issue. It was long time ago and just stuck with that since, never changed it back to phone number as default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.