Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
E3 is two weeks away. What are your predictions and expectations?

Microsoft:
Scorpio.

Sony:
Some kind of announcement about the next PlayStation home console. If history is anything to go by, they will try to show up Microsoft. Could there be a PSP3?

Nintendo:
Splatoon2, Mario Odyssey. IMHO, the latter will be delayed to next year. Hopefully we will get to see what Retro Studio has been working on.

Cheers

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Microsoft
Scorpio
VR plans for Scorpio
Windows 10 VR Headsets (http://www.techradar.com/news/heres-what-the-first-wave-of-windows-10-vr-headsets-look-like)

Sony:
Current gen price drops (PS4 1TB: $249, PS4 Pro: $349, PSVR: $299, Camera: $40)?
More VR games
Hints at PS5 and PSVR2 (?)

Nintendo:
I heard a rumor from someone else that Nintendo may announce a Switch "Core" which will only be the unit/joycons.
Games for 3DS and Switch!
VR Plans?

This will be one heck of an E3 this year!!!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Microsoft
Scorpio
VR plans for Scorpio
Windows 10 VR Headsets (http://www.techradar.com/news/heres-what-the-first-wave-of-windows-10-vr-headsets-look-like)

Sony:
Current gen price drops (PS4 1TB: $249, PS4 Pro: $349, PSVR: $299, Camera: $40)?
More VR games
Hints at PS5 and PSVR2 (?)

Nintendo:
I heard a rumor from someone else that Nintendo may announce a Switch "Core" which will only be the unit/joycons.
Games for 3DS and Switch!
VR Plans?

This will be one heck of an E3 this year!!!

I agree most of what you have listed. I also expect some of the bigger developers like Ubisoft, Rockstar and Naughty Dog to debut some more insight what to expect within the next year for big game releases and recent teasers they have released within the last six months.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I agree with consensus.

Microsoft - Scorpio price announcement and pre-order details. VR plans for Scorpio.
Sony - PS4Pro+New Gran Turismo bundle announcement (1TB $399, basically same price as now with free game). Additional price drops across line contingent on M$ announcements.
Nintendo - Does not attend E3, but will showcase their previously announced games at Treehouse with maybe one surprise game announcement.

PS. Any bets on Scorpio price? I'm going to say $499.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I agree with consensus.

Nintendo - Does not attend E3, but will showcase their previously announced games at Treehouse with maybe one surprise game announcement.

PS. Any bets on Scorpio price? I'm going to say $499.

Nintendo's may be that Mario Shooter....

Scorpio I'm hoping, for their sake, $399, but no higher than $449

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I miss G4 as they actually had fantastic coverage and I miss the girls like Morgan Webb and Olivia Munn :)

Yeah, I really miss Attack of the Show and the super hottie hostesses as well.

Last edited:

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
I miss G4 as they actually had fantastic coverage and I miss the girls like Morgan Webb and Olivia Munn :)

I miss G4 as well. They actually made tech entertaining. Remember TechTV?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm expecting some kind of VR partnership with Oculus and XBOX. As I see it Vive and Steam are already partnered up, and the only other possibility is some kind of "open VR" SDK to work with those cheap cardboard VR systems. It's gotta be in house, open, or Oculus.

Dunno what to expect from Sony.

Nintendos interesting now, they effectively only have one system to really cater for so I'm expecting nothing but games.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I'm expecting some kind of VR partnership with Oculus and XBOX. As I see it Vive and Steam are already partnered up, and the only other possibility is some kind of "open VR" SDK to work with those cheap cardboard VR systems. It's gotta be in house, open, or Oculus.

Dunno what to expect from Sony.

Nintendos interesting now, they effectively only have one system to really cater for so I'm expecting nothing but games.

Right on with the Nintendo prediction (their E3 site is now up):

http://e3.nintendo.com

AFA Microsoft, I think if they have a partnership with Oculus, it will be the next generation of Oculus VR like the Windows 10 headsets that have been showcased. This new one will work, of course, with XBox Scorpio or Windows 10...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So EA's show is over. They showed literally NOTHING I am interested in.

Actually, 'Anthem' looked intriguing from their Bioware studio. Otherwise, EA typically debuts the same games every year with Sports and Need For Speed. (Aside from Star Wars and Battlefield).

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
"Anthem" - definitely...

Maybe a showcase for Scorpio?

(ME: Andromeda was PS4 Pro's - LOL.... ;) )

I like Electronic Arts, but they are horrible actors on stage trying to persuade/Demo their games. They said Anthem has more coming for more material, I'm assuming the Scorpio will take a hold of that.

Looking forward to see what Microsoft has.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I started reading about Anthem and stopped at "semi-mmo, like Destiny / Division". No, thank you.

Yeah, there's just so much out there now - I would like a demo at this point instead of investing...

btw - ME: Andromeda is $60 at Gamestop, and Amazon has it on "sale" for $40 (PS4) and $30 (XB1) - hardly the price of a "dead game".

Does GS know something we don't? Will there be an E3 announcement that the game is being "picked back up"?

(The devs didn't give up on No Man's Sky and is now, for me at least, a great game. I guess Deformers suffered from bad acceptance but the devs are quickly fixing that one as well.)

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
I'm wondering if Atari is announcing at the conference after that teaser they made for a console.

So EA's show is over. They showed literally NOTHING I am interested in.

EA is so environmentally friendly they recycle every gaming engine they make and charge highway robbery prices for it.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I started reading about Anthem and stopped at "semi-mmo, like Destiny / Division". No, thank you.
So it's an online game? Damn. It's the most interesting game I've seen so far.

If it's like The Division and Destiny, that you need online, it would be terrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.