Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Pretty weak show all around IMO. Where are the bombshells and surprises? Where are the exciting new game announcements?

Things I was hoping for:

Bloodborne 2
PS4 Pro Slim
The Last Of Us 2 release date
Interesting Switch games

Don't care for Smash Bros, so Nintendo's showing did nothing for me.

Death Stranding looks a little too forced, weird for the sake of being weird.

Spiderman looks silly, combat reminds me of the Arkham games. Loved those games except for the combat.

Fallout as an online only game...no, thank you.

TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima both looked gorgeous, those were the only highlights for me.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Highlights:

Cyberpunk 2077 - Best in show!
Ghost of Tsushima - Looks gorgeous
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (New From Software game!)

Lowlights:
Sony's Presentation - Most games shown look great, but how things were presented with long intermission felt really disjointed
Death Standing - Dang that games looks weird and boring as hell for all the hype surrounding it.

EA: Same old crap. I like they committed not to sell advantages in multiplayer games (ie BF2 fiasco), but I'm sure they will find new ways to squeeze $ out of us. I expect Anthem to sell continuous expansions like Destiny, for example.
I'm happy Respawn (very talented devs) will do next Star Wars game, but I'm sure EA as publisher will find a way to mess things up.

Xbox:Investment in new studios, even though fruits of those acquisitions won't come until next gen, was very welcome. Confirmation that new consoles are in development (long live consoles!). Lots of games shown was cool. They are really selling game pass hard. I'm not sure how I feel about 'games as a service' model. Devil May Cry V has me excited.

Bethesda: Elder Scrolls phone game? I might give it a try. Starfield a new IP is being developed, awesome!
Never got into Fallout, but in general, I agree, I don't like online only games (ie FO76). Can't wait for ES6, but that's years away still.

Square Enix: Meh, Tomb Raider didn't get me too excited as previous installments, none of which I have played yet. I got sick of Kingdom Hearts trailers by the end of the expo. Meh to everything else, and very short presentation.

Ubisoft: Skull and Bones looks amazing! New Assassins Creed is the first AC game to catch my interest since IV, I love the Greek setting. Beyond Good and Evil 2 trailer was great. Everything else (Division 2), meh.

Sony: Spiderman looks good, but I too expect Arkham like combat which might keep me away as I don't like that style of gameplay. Last of Us II looks amazing, but I still haven't played the first one, so hard for me to excited over it. Dericine FromSoftware VR game intrigues. Everything else we'll see.

Nintendo: Smash looks great! Disappointed no Bayonetta 3 shown.

Overall: Lots of games to look forward too. I think this show was a smidgen better than past shows. Online team based gaming appears to be the main trend/theme for many games, but single player games are still hanging in there.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Bethesda had a stellar E3 conference in my opinion. Major releases coming with Fallout 76 in November, Rage 2 looks to be absolutely fun in Spring 2019, Doom Eternal was announced, Elder Scrolls VI announced and Starfield (A new project in the upcoming.)

Also, CyberPunk 2077 looks interesting.

As far as “The last of Us 2” not having a lot an announcement date, that doesn’t surprise me. Naughty dog is a very private developer, similar to how Rockstar is. I would suspect a launch in late fall 2019.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Yup, pretty disappointing all around. Was hoping for a MetroidPrime4 trailer and some major third party titles for the Switch.

Cyberpunk 2077 did impress. DaemonXMachina looked interesting too (looked like a Suda51 game).

Looks like it's going to be DK:TF and Luigi's Mansion for me this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.