Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
So I guess this year's show already kind of happened, and I barely noticed.

Was anything of real significance announced? Starfield is not coming to Playstation, but we pretty much knew that already. The next Forza will look good, because of course it will.

Did I miss anything exciting?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Did I miss anything exciting?
Microsoft's announcements, yeah the release date of Starfield is a disappointment (was hoping for a 2021 release), the rest of the announcements from MS, look really exciting, particularly AOE4. I'm also really excited to hear about The Outer Worlds 2 and hades coming to game pass.

In all honesty it seemed like a very subdued and uneventful E3, and I was surprised it was nearly over when I finally realized it was actually going

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I like the play through for Guardians of the Galaxy. It was nice to see a game play through versus a trailer.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
The most lackluster E3 in memory. Apart from Elden Ring (which the technically wasn't a part of E3) and a couple of Indies, not really any must play games for me.

Microsoft-Bethesda had the best show by far. Lots of games coming to Gamepass, Forza Horizon 5 looks incredible (but not my type of game) as well as Halo Infinite. Pirates of Caribbean crossover with Sea of Thieves could get me back into that game if it is playable solo, but doubtful. Bummer Starfield is not coming to PS5 since that is my primary platform, but I will play on Xbox if reviews are good. I would rather have Elder Scrolls 6 before Starfield, but whatever.

Hades is coming to Xbox Gamepass, so I'm looking forward to giving that a try. Tempted to pick it up now on-sale for Switch, but got some other games in the queue. I bring up Hades because I was moved by the live performance of some of the songs from the soundtrack during the Summer of Games conference.

Guardians of Galaxy and Avatar games look interesting, but I have low expectations for movie-licensed games.

Devolver's Demon Throttle for Switch interested me until they said it is physical release only (I'm all digital this gen).
Odd decision to not release digital.

Nintendo's Metroid Dread looks great, though I always get stuck on the levels in metroidvania games and quit before I get very far, but may give this one a try.
Mario Golf comes out next week and will probably pick it up since I've been getting into real golf lately and it looks fun.

On the other side of the coin, Gearbox had the worst presentation by far. I have no interest in the Borderlands movie, show me GAMES!

A surprise for me was Intellivision Amico. While I'm not super gungho for this, my wife (a casual mobile gamer) is really interested since she had the original Intellivision back in the day. She loves the game Shark! Shark! which is one of the included games. So I will pick that up and hopefully get some quality fun couch gaming with her. I like how the console is bringing back updated versions of some classic games that are family friendly, inexpensive, don't require internet or have micro transactions. I just hope the dial controller (which I couldn't stand on the original console) doesn't suck total ass.

Speaking of Amico, the Atari VCS released a couple of days ago and it wasn't even covered in E3. That console looks like a borefest. Is it an overpriced Atari emulator or a low-end PC? Oh, it's trying to be both. The console and retro controller looks cool, but that is about all it has going for it. Maybe I will pick it up on the cheap in the inevitable closeout fire-sale when it bombs.

Anyhow, that is a few of my thoughts. I really miss having Sony at E3, it's just not the same. Hopefully next year we'll have an in person E3 and the convention will return to life.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
the Atari VCS released a couple of days ago and it wasn't even covered in E3
Why would it? I'm definitely intrigued by that console, but its really for nostalgia. I was a teen when the Atari 2600 came out, and I spent countless afternoons playing on it. There's so many games that bring back such fond memories, but those games are at best rudimentary. That console doesn't really provide anything else

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.