Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
EA Chief Cites Need For More Innovative Games

Electronic Arts Inc. became the world's biggest maker of videogames by relying on a formula now widespread in the industry: pumping out sequels of familiar game franchises, like Madden football, that consumers bought almost on cue. Now, its new chief executive says EA and other game makers must change their ways or risk losing audiences to more compelling forms of entertainment.

In his first in-depth comments since taking the job in April, John Riccitiello says he worries that the Redwood City, Calif., company and others in the industry make too many games that lack innovation. He says EA and others need both to push more aggressively beyond traditional audiences to court "casual" consumers and to experiment more with new sales approaches -- outside the norm of selling $50 to $60 discs with 40-hour games that he says few players ever finish.

"We're boring people to death and making games that are harder and harder to play," Mr. Riccitiello said in an interview.

"For the most part, the industry has been rinse-and-repeat," he says. "There's been lots of product that looked like last year's product, that looked a lot like the year before."

Wall Street Journal Link

It could almost be mistaken Iwata-san's call to arms from several years ago.

Despite the urge to say "I told you so" or "Kettle meet pot", this attitude at the top of the worlds biggest publisher can only be good news.

thegreatunknown

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
well it took EA many years to figure it out but hey, at least they did. Wonder if they will actually change anything though?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
First step is admitting they have a problem. 2nd step is realising their best game in recent years was SSX Blur, but that they should remove the "radio" people.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
EA is good for two things:

1) Buying the rights to publish titles that other companies create, adding in some of their own EA BS (Burnout, TimeSplitters)

2) Releasing the same sports titles year after year with nothing but roster updates, for full retail price

EA is one of the many cancers of the video game industry.
The need to look in the mirror before saying "we all need to change".

No, YOU need to change. Not everyone else out there is screwing the industry up like YOU are, EA. :mad:

Your next-gen console releases have been short on features and more expensive thus far. Quit with the "get quick rich" schemes and start putting some f'n effort into it. When you release games on the 360 and Ps3 with less stadiums or modes of play than the Ps2 version, then you've got a problem.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
I don't think we can be overly harsh towards EA about the yearly updates. (No, really.)

I would argue that recently Ubisoft have claimed EA's crown as the leaders of the yearly update.

(The sequel to Tom Clancy's EndWar has already been unofficially confirmed before the first game has been let loose to journo's for a playtest. Bonkers!)

ctango

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
Mountains
I used to like the Halo style games, but found that they were to single minded after playing them for a while. i have really started liking "Battlestations: Midway" for the xBox 360. It gives you tactical control and first person attack control. I also feel that "The Outfit" falls into something similar. First person attack, but you have to call in support and auxiliary weapons to fortify your position.

Both games are fun because they add an extra element to the first person shooter games. They aren't the final answer, but I feel they are a step in the right direction.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I used to like the Halo style games, but found that they were to single minded after playing them for a while. i have really started liking "Battlestations: Midway" for the xBox 360. It gives you tactical control and first person attack control. I also feel that "The Outfit" falls into something similar. First person attack, but you have to call in support and auxiliary weapons to fortify your position.

Both games are fun because they add an extra element to the first person shooter games. They aren't the final answer, but I feel they are a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the Battlestations: Midway info. I was thinking of picking it up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.