Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Why is it that Apple, a company that prides itself on simplicity and things "just working" manages to make their OS messier with each implementation?

Take Photos for example - it used to be "OK", not amazing but OK, now we have "All Photos", "Moments", "Activity", "Collections"... I mean WTF? Every update old photos return, but not in All Photos, instead in Moments and I think "where the hell did that come from? I deleted it a year ago!" These re-appearing photos aren't in my cloud anywhere I can see so where exactly are they being stored?

That's just one example and I know it's not specific to iOS 9 but we're getting more and more undeletable Apps with each generation, more clutter, the fact we still have to use iTunes which is amazingly still terrible after all these years (on a PC at least). What happened to Apple software development??

Sorry, just ranting after a day of stress and hassle trying to fix the mess this update and iTunes made of my phone (on one PC updates failed and could not restore, worked ok on another but had to return to the first to get my backup... Jesus) and the lack of logic to any of the methods to fix issues. This is a Beta yes, but the core issues don't change with release.

Reactions: PhiLLoW

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I agree, their making it unnecessarily messy. Maybe you should try the new Google Photos app if you don't mind Google? It's a simple yet powerful photo app done correctly and the reviews so far have all been positive. Maybe Apple should take hints.

iTunes has always been a poor app, not just on Windows but also on the Mac. Slow, and a pain in the a**, especially when syncing and backing up your iDevice.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I'll give Google photos a look, cheers for the advice! I'm not fussy! :D

I've been with Apple since the 3G but I must admit that the other options look more tempting each year, I was going to get a Mac and go all Apple for a while but when "thinness" became the aim (despite the thing sitting on a 6" deep stand) they lost me as I do a lot of rendering for work... :\

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The more they cram in the more likely it is they'll eventually add a way to manage it, like Settings getting a search function.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
Id love to rely on iCloud for photo storage. However, it seems that new photos shot on the iPhone always remain stored on the phone at full resolution. The same with images that you download.

The only way to reduce the size of images is to turn off iCloud syncing for Photos and then turn it on again. Even then, Photos is the largest user of space on my iPhone.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
iOS is becoming worse with every version.
iOS 1 used to be so simple, very easy to use, very few menus. That was the aim and also the reason why they didn’t include some features that every other phone had.
Than it got worse with every version. The first version like 2-4 were ok, because the usefullness of the new features out weight the more complicated menus and such but now they have long crossed the tipping point.

My parents regulary call be because they don’t know how to change relatively simple setting. Even I sometimes have to go thru many menus to find the right option. There are so many syncing services going on and data being exchanged, uploaded and otherwise shared, it just seems way to much.

In addition to that, with each new iteration of iOS, they include another useless app that nobody uses.

-Game Center
-Apple Watch App (why can’t you deactivate it?????)
-News App
-Health App
-Compass App
-Tipps (the worst)
-Newsstand

I really expected this update to be a big maintenance update with no or few new features and lots of usability improvements but it isn’t.
They might have changed a lot of things under the hood, which is good, but not much more.
The search option in the settings app is very welcome thought.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Id love to rely on iCloud for photo storage. However, it seems that new photos shot on the iPhone always remain stored on the phone at full resolution. The same with images that you download.

The only way to reduce the size of images is to turn off iCloud syncing for Photos and then turn it on again. Even then, Photos is the largest user of space on my iPhone.

Am I doing something wrong here?

You can tell iOS to keep low-res thumbnails or full quality version on your iPhone in settings.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 1 used to be so simple, very easy to use, very few menus. That was the aim and also the reason why they didn’t include some features that every other phone had.
Than it got worse with every version. The first version like 2-4 were ok, because the usefullness of the new features out weight the more complicated menus and such but now they have long crossed the tipping point.

My parents regulary call be because they don’t know how to change relatively simple setting. Even I sometimes have to go thru many menus to find the right option. There are so many syncing services going on and data being exchanged, uploaded and otherwise shared, it just seems way to much.

In addition to that, with each new iteration of iOS, they include another useless app that nobody uses.

-Game Center
-News App
-Health App
-Compass App
-Tipps (the worst)
-Newsstand

I really expected this update to be a big maintenance update with no or few new features and lots of usability improvements but it isn’t.
They might have changed a lot of things under the hood, which is good, but not much more.
In order to become more powerful and support more things that more and more people do these days more and more features and options are added. Perhaps they might want to introduce some sort of "simple" mode to help some new users or those that only do a few things, but certainly not at the cost of not providing more useful things to others.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

-Game Center
-News App
-Health App
-Compass App
-Tipps (the worst)
-Newsstand

You say you have a hard time finding things at times, have you actually looked at the tips in the Tips app? There are actually some pretty helpful things you might not know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edelheid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.