Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I-user

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
I’m not a developer. Just an inpatient person wanting to get the iOS 12 beta. Last year I waited for the public one when it came out and that was great. I don”t really want to wait till the end of the month. I could just download the profile and go beta now.

It seems pretty stable and not too many issues. Seems like the most stable beta ever.

Any reason I should really wait for public beta?

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I thought it was just out for developers. I think you have to pay to register as a developer if I am recalling correctly.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
If you have a secondary device, back up and go for it. Nothing to fear about. But I don't recommend install it on your main phone. Yes the beta is generally stable for now, but you never know what could be happen the moment you need your phone the most and you are not at home to restore back to iOS 11.

Personally, I install it on my iPads. I'll install it in a month or two on my phone if things continue to be stable enough.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Best beta I’ve ever tried by far. All of my apps work as normal, it’s much much faster than iOS 11.4, very stable... I haven’t had to restart for any reason. And my battery life has remained the same.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
There’s a couple of key apps (for me) that are currently non-functional on iOS 12. Once those are patched up, I’ll probably jump in.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
A couple of times I've had to delete and reinstall crashing apps, or restart my phone from it. Little things that add up overtime. A decently stable beta tho and I am running it on my personal device. Definitely use a secondary device if you have one tho. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: max2

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I have my iPhone 6s on iOS 12 Beta and it is running great. Actually my be faster then before. I installed a new battery from Apple phone feels like new again.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
So I jumped on beta 1 of iOS 12 on my iPhone X last week. And I have to say this has to be the smoothest beta 1 i've ever been on and I've tried most.

The phone feels so much more snappier (yeah i know lol) and being able to swipe up to close apps without holding anymore feels real good.

I'm liking the subtle changes across the board in all native apps. And my battery life is the same as when I was on iOS 11 so I've not felt the need to downgrade i like i had to when iOS 11 beta 1 came out.

All in all I'd advise anyone whos interested to try it out. If you're on an iPhone X.

Reactions: mattopotamus

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
So I jumped on beta 1 of iOS 12 on my iPhone X last week. And I have to say this has to be the smoothest beta 1 i've ever been on and I've tried most.

The phone feels so much more snappier (yeah i know lol) and being able to swipe up to close apps without holding anymore feels real good.

I'm liking the subtle changes across the board in all native apps. And my battery life is the same as when I was on iOS 11 so I've not felt the need to downgrade i like i had to when iOS 11 beta 1 came out.

All in all I'd advise anyone whos interested to try it out. If you're on an iPhone X.

How about an iPhone 8? I put it on my 6s just to use and it’s been like a dream on it. After replacing the battery and putting iOS 12 on the 6S I’m thinking of selling the 8 lol.

Reactions: Mr. 123

gjamesm42

Suspended
Jan 11, 2017
Best beta I’ve ever tried by far. All of my apps work as normal, it’s much much faster than iOS 11.4, very stable... I haven’t had to restart for any reason. And my battery life has remained the same.

Same experience here. So glad I went for it.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Ignore that video, there’s a whole thread about how he’s a clickbait junkie.

There are some issues, but his one is in the small percentage.

There are significantly more people that say it’s one of the better Betas. There’s always going to be apps that don’t fully work and other issues.

My advice is to read the App Compatibility thread, see is ant apps are showstoppers for you. Then if you want to, go for it! Make sure you make a backup, you can always go back to 11.4.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
It is OTA. Last time I checked, the IPSW is not available for download from the developer portal.

ah okay...thanks. So OTA is the only option, so far.

I am still holding off, but on the other hand very eager to try it out on my iPhone X.

I read a lot of good stories about this very first iOS 12 beta. Only some GPS problems as I have read on several sites/forums

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
It is OTA. Last time I checked, the IPSW is not available for download from the developer portal.

Must not have looked too hard... it's right there on the Downloads tab...

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 10.09.32 AM.png

Reactions: Geert76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.